Essential equipment for field-work, such as specialized boats, high-capacity electrofishing devices, sampling devices for benthic fauna, portable devices for measuring physicochemical and electromagnetic multi-parameters (flowmeter, turbimeter, oxygenmeter, fluorometer, photometer, lysimeter, distancemeter, for BOD measurements, grab (sampler), GPS, Secchi disk, etc), automatic monitoring systems for hydrometeorological and physicochemical parameters, rain collectors, drones, Jeeps and a mobile laboratory vehicle.
- Research Vessel “Philia”
- IMBRIW is the main user of the R/V “Philia” in HCMR. It makes use of both the vessel’s equipment, and special equipment which meets the requirements of the Institute. Philia is a mobile research work platform used in almost all Greek waters and has a variety of nets, wet and dry laboratories and electronics facilities. Sampling campaigns are often multidisciplinary and include multiple-purpose sampling.
- hydro-acoustic equipment Biosonic 120 khz, 38 khz, equipment Simrad.
- Automatic Sampler eggs and ichthyoplankton CUFES.
- Multiple sampling ichthyoplankton Mockness.
- High performance electrofishing devices, multivariate water quality profiler (CTD), benthos capturing tools, portable instruments for the automatic measurement of physicochemical, hydrological and meteorological parameters , automatic water samplers, audio equipment trawl Scanmar, Side scan sonars 110 khz, 410 kHz , underwater systems for video capturing and photography.
- Numerical weather prediction
- Atmospheric models at global and large mesoscale
- Operational Meteorology and Oceanography (design, development, evaluation)
- Water cycle and energy (theory and numerical models)
- Development and implementation of meteorological data assimilation techniques
- Interaction in the system soil – water – atmosphere (theory and development of algorithms in numerical models)
- Study intense weather phenomena (theory and numerical models)
- Study and prediction of soil erosion and the mechanisms of production, transport and deposition of soil dust particles (theory and numerical models).
- Computer performance : BladeSystem c7000 enclosure with 16 HP Proliant BL460c G1 server blades: 10 E5345 (20 Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.3 GHz processors) and 6 E5405 (12 Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 2.0 GHz processors),
- 4 Workstations Linux-based (2 Quad and 2 Dual cores processors) Total storage capacity 10 TB.
- Screening and identification of benthic macroinvertebrates
- Evaluation of ecological quality of surface waters
- Ecology of macroinvertebrate organisms
- Stereoscopes (2 Olympus SZX10- one with a digital camera, 1 Leica MZ8, 1 WILD),
- inverted microscope with camera (WILD).
- Experimental farming of fish that are endemic in Greek freshwaters
- Biology of freshwater fishes of Greece (reproduction and nutrition studies)
- Morphology – morphometry and young adult life stages
- Detailed morphometry of fish with high resolution digital image analysis system
- 10 tanks of varying capacity (three with a maximum capacity of 453 L),
- filter systems for continuous water purification (2) Devices for UV disinfection (2),
- Stereoscopes (Nikon, Olympus, Wild),
- video cameras (Sony, Olympus),
- Digital cameras Canon (2),
- TV and Video system (Sony),
- precision Electronic scales (Sartorius, Phillips, Navigator),
- Digital image analysis system.
- Identification of the major ions: Ca2+, Mg2+, K+, Na+, Cl -, SO42-
- Determination of nutrients (NO2-NO3-, PO43-, NH4 +, Total Nitrogen, Total Phosphorus, Silicates)
- Determination of alkalinity and hardness
- Determination of total particulate matter
The quality control of chemical analyses is done by the analysis of certified reference standards (CRM). The laboratory equipment is certified.
- Ion Analyzer (Metrohm),
- Spectrophotometer UV / VIS Pharo 300 (Merck),
- Automatic titrator,
- Tim 900 with autosampler Sac 80 (Radiometer),
- Accessories (Production system for chemically ultrapure water, Thermal reactor, Electric Oven, Precision weighting devices, pumps, etc.).
IMBRIW has a modern coastal zone laboratory, which aims to study the biology and ecology of fish in coastal waters in relation to the environmental quality of coastal waters and environmental interaction between coastal fisheries and other economic activities. For this reason, the lab is equipped with table and portable spectrophotometers (VIS), digital portable instruments for the measurement of physicochemical parameters (temperature, salinity , oxygen , pH), benthic samplers (soil cores Eckman, Hydrobios), laboratory instruments (scales, microscopes) and glassware.
The computer center of fisheries data is stocked with state-of-the-art hardware and software. For the purpose of supporting the integrated management of fisheries data (Integrated Fisheries Information System, IFIS), a platform which consists of servers databases, geographic information systems and statistical packages has been designed. To support the local area network (LAN) and wide area network (WAN) applications management of the data of IFIS, the necessary equipment that provides secure Internet access has been used.
Through the network, seamless communication is also ensured between the branches of Athens and Heraklion. To improve bathymetric data and support field work, the Institute is equipped with an advanced seabed mapping system.
In this lab, light structures are made and tests are performed, as well as upgrades and maintenance of the electronic equipment. It is equipped with a wide range of tools, light machinery (drills, cutters, lathes), prototype lab tools and analytical equipment (mega counters, oscilloscopes, power supplies and pulse).
In this Laboratory, invertebrate samples caught by bottom trawl and other samplers (dredges, beam trawls Agassiz, traps , nets, soil core and benthos samplers) are processed. The laboratory has all the necessary equipment for various laboratory measurements (digital calipers, electronic scales, etc.), for washing and sorting organisms, as well as microscopes and stereoscopes equipped with a digital camera. Every workplace has special fume hoods for working with formalin.