- BSc in Biology, School of Biology, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (1985-1989)
- MSc in Oceanography, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (1989-1992)
- PhD in the Department of Zoology, School of Biology, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (1994-2004)
He has attended special training courses in applied oceanography, aquaculture, management and stock assessment, determination of lipofuscin in decapods’ brain, analysis of metapopulations, improving the quality of management advice for commercial fisheries, socio-economics of fisheries and marine resources.
At 2011, he became a senior researcher at the Institute of Marine Biological Resources and Inland Waters (HCMR). He supervise(d) 2 MSc, and 2 bachelor Theses, as well as the practical training of 4 undergraduates.
He has research interests on fisheries biology, ecology and dynamics, mainly of crustaceans. In addition to this, he is interested on marine cetaceans and turtles, and the ecosystemic approach to fishery. He has participated in 28 national and international projects and co-ordinated 11 European Union (EU) projects.
He was a member of 4 committees, i.e. Stock Assessment Working Group on Demersal and small pelagic species, Greek Fishery Council, European Fisheries Technology Platform, EastMed
Permanent WG on Stock assessment, Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) (GFCM).
He has participated in the Steering Committee of 4 national or international Symposia/Congresses and organized-coordinated 5 Workshops. He serves on the Editorial Board of the journals: International Journal of Fisheries and Aquaculture, Scientific World Journal and of the Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. He has contributed 38 papers in peer-reviewed journals, 7 book chapters, one book, as well as more than 203 other publications (i.e., conference proceedings, special publications, newspaper and magazine articles) and co-authored 49 technical reports.
- Kapiris K, Kasalica O, Klaoudatos D, Djurovic M (2013) Contribution to the biology and fishery characteristics of Parapenaeus longirostris (Lucas, 1846) in the South Ionian and South Adriatic Sea. Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 13:647-656
- Glenn H, Tingley D, Marono S, Holm D, Kell L, Padda G, Edvardsson IR, Asmundsson J, Conides A, Kapiris K, Bezahib M, Wattage P, Kuikka S (2012) Trust in the fisheries scientific community. Marine Policy 36:54-72
- Guillen J, Maynou F, Floros C, Sampson D, Conides A, Kapiris K (2012) A bio-economic evaluation of the potential for establishing a commercial fishery on two newly developed stocks: The Ionian red shrimp fishery. Scientia Marina 76:597-605
- Kapiris K, Katağan T, Ateş S, Conides A (2012) Review of alien decapods (Crustacea) in the Aegean Sea. Journal of the Black Sea / Mediterranean Environment 18:177-187
- Miliou H, Kapiris K, Castritsi-Catharios I (2012) Microplanktic assemblages (sarcodines and alveolates) in the central and southeastern Aegean Sea (NE Mediterranean). Microplanktic assemblages (sarcodines and alveolates) in the central and southeastern Aegean Sea (NE Mediterranean). International Journal of Fisheries and Aquaculture 4:105-113
- Castritsi-Catharios I, Miliou H, Kapiris K, Kefalas E (2011) Recovery of the commercial sponges in the central and southeastern Aegean Sea (NE Mediterranean) after an outbreak of sponge disease. Mediterranean Marine Science 12:5-20
- Eleftheriou A, Anagnostopoulou-Visilia E, Anastasopoulou E, Ateş SA, Bachari N, El I, Cavas L, Cevik C, Ulha M, Cevik F, Delos A-L, Deric OB, Erguden D, Fragopoulou N, Giangrande A, Göksan T, Gravil C, Gurlek M, Hattour A, Kapiris K, Kouraklis P, Lamouti S, Prato E, Papa L, Papantoniou G, Parlapiano I, Poursanidis D, Turan C, Yaglioglu D (2011) F. Callinectes sapidus Rathbun in the Greek Ionian Sea, New Mediterranean Biodiversity Records, December 2011. K Kapiris, E Anastasopoulou, P Kouraklis. Mediterranean Marine Science 12:491-508
- Kapiris Κ, Klaoudatos D (2011) Length-weight relationships of twenty one fishes from Argolikos Gulf (Central Aegean Sea, E. Mediterranean). Τurkish Journal of Zoology 35:717-723
- Kapiris Κ, Thessalou-Legaki Μ (2011) Feeding ecology of the deep-sea red shrimp Aristeus antennatus in the NE Ionian Sea (E. Mediterranean). Journal of Sea Research 65:151-160.
- Kapiris Κ, Thessalou-Legaki Μ, Petrakis G, Conides A (2010) Ontogenetic shifts and temporal changes the trophic patterns of deep-sea red shrimp Aristaeomorpha foliacea (Decapods, Aristeidae) in the E. Ionian Sea (E. Mediterranean). Marine Ecology 31:341-354
- Klaoudatos D, Kapiris C, Conides A, Papaconstantinou C, Glykokokkalos S (2010) Assessment of demersal distribution between two fishing areas in North and Central Greece. International Aquatic Research 2:142-154
- Tingley D, Asmundsson J, Borodzicz E, Conides A, Drakeford B, Ejvarjsson IR, Holme D, Kapiris K, Kuikka S, Mortensen B (2010) Risk identiﬁcation and perception in the ﬁsheries sector: Comparisons between the Faroes, Greece, Iceland and UK. Marine Policy 34:1249-1260
- Kapiris K, Conides A (2009) Studies on the allometric growth of the caramote prawn Melicertus kerathurus (Decapoda, Penaeidae) in the Western Greece (E. Mediterranean). Mediterranean Marine Science 10:25-34
- Kapiris K, Kavvadas S (2009) Morphometric strudy of the red shrimp Aristeus antennatus (Risso, 1816) in the Eastern Mediterranean. Aquatic Ecology 43:1061-1071
- Kapiris K, Thessalou-Legaki M (2009) Comparative Reproduction Aspects of the Deep-water Shrimps Aristaeomorpha foliacea and Aristeus antennatus (Decapoda, Aristeidae) in the Greek Ionian Sea (Eastern Mediterranean). International Journal of Zoology 2009:9 pp
- Anastasopoulou A, Kapiris K (2008) Feeding ecology of the shortnose greeneye Chlorophthalmus agassizi Bonaparte 1840 (Pisces: Chlorophthalmidae) in the eastern Ionian Sea (eastern Mediterranean). Journal of Applied Ichthyology 24:170-179
- Conides A, Glamuzina B, Dulcic J, Kapiris K, Jug-Dujakovic J, Papaconstantinou C (2008) Study of the reproduction of the karamote prawn, Penaeus (Melicertus) kerathurus in Amvrakikos Gulf, western Greece. Acta Adriatica 49:97-106
- Kapiris K, Kallias E, Conides A (2008) Preliminary biological data on Pomadasys incisus(Osteichthyes: Haemulidae) in the Aegean Sea, Greece. Mediterranean Marine Science 9:53-62
- Kapiris K (2007) The present and future of Greek fisheries. Ocean Challenge 15:24-30
- Conides A, Glamuzina B, Jug-Dujacovic J, Papaconstantinou C, Kapiris K (2006) Age, growth, and mortality of the karamote shrimp, Penaeus (Melicertus) kerathurus (Forskål 1775) in the east Ionian Sea (western Greece). Crustaceana 79:33-52
- Mytilineou Ch, Kavadas S, Politou C-Y, Kapiris K, Tursi A, Maiorano P (2006) Catch composition in red shrimp (Aristaeomorpha foliacea and Aristeus antennatus) grounds in the eastern Ionian Sea. Hydrobiologia 557:255-160
- D’Onghia G, Capezzuto F, Mytilineou Ch, Maiorano P, Kapiris K, Carlucci R, Sion L, Tursi A (2005) Comparison of the population structure and dynamics of Aristeus antennatus (Risso, 1816) between exploited and unexploited areas in the Mediterranean Sea. Fisheries Research 76:22-38
- Kapiris K (2005) Morphometric structure and allometry profiles of the giant red shrimp Aristaeomorpha foliacea (Risso, 1827) in the eastern Mediterranean. Journal of Natural History 39:1347-1357
- Sobrino I, Silva C, Sbrana M, Kapiris K (2005) Biology and Fisheries of Deep Water Rose Shrimp (Parapenaeus longirostris) in European Atlantic and Mediterranean waters. Crustaceana 78:1153-1184
- Kapiris K (2004). Feeding ecology of Parapenaeus longirostris (Lucas, 1846) (Decapoda: Penaeidae) from the Ionian Sea (Central and Eastern Mediterranean Sea). Scientia Marina 68:247-256
- Politou C-Y, Kapiris K, Maiorano P, Capezzuto F, Dokos J (2004) Deep-sea Mediterramean biology: the case of Aristaeomorpha foliacea (Risso, 1827) (Crustacea: Decapoda: Aristeidae). Scientia Marina 68:129-139
- Sardà F, D’Onghia G, Politou C-Y, Company JB, Maiorano P, Kapiris K (2004) Deep-sea distribution, biological and ecological aspects of Aristeus antennatus (Risso, 1816) in the western and central Mediterranean Sea. Scientia Marina 68:117-127
- Papaconstantinou C, Kapiris K (2003) The biology of the giant red shrimp (Aristaeomorpha foliacea) on an unexploited fishing ground in the Greek Ionian Sea. Fisheries Research 62:37-51
- Kapiris K, Moraitou-Apostolopoulou M, Papaconstantinou C (2002). The growth of male secondary sexual characters in Aristaeomorpha foliacea and Aristeus antennatus (Decapoda, Aristeidae) in the Greek Ionian Sea (Eastern Mediterranean). Journal of Crustacean Biology 22:784-789
- Kapiris K, Thessalou-Legaki M (2001) Sex-related variability of rostrum morphometry in Aristeus antennatus from the Ionian Sea (Eastern Mediterranean). Hydrobiologia 449:123-130
- Papaconstantinou C, Kapiris K (2001) Distribution and population structure of the red shrimp (Aristeus antennatus) on an unexploited fishing ground in the Greek Ionian Sea. Aquatic Living Rresources 14:303-312
- Kapiris K, Thessalou-Legaki M, Petrakis G, Moraitou-Apostolopoulou M, Papaconstantinou C (2000) Population characteristics and comparison of feeding parameters of Aristaeomorpha foliacea and Aristeus antennatus (Decapoda: Aristeidae) from the Ionian Sea (Eastern Mediterranean). Crustacean Issues 12: The biodiversity crisis and Crustacea: 177-191
- Moraitou-Apostolopoulou M, Zervoudaki S, Kapiris K (2000) Composition, bathymetric and temporal differentiation of zooplankton in an oligotrophic area (South Aegean Sea). Marine Life 10:43-55
- Kormas K, Kapiris K, Thessalou-Legaki M, Nicolaidou A (1998) Quantitative relationships between phytoplankton, bacteria and protists in an Aegean semi-enclosed embayment (Maliakos Gulf, Hellas). Aquatic Microbial Ecology 15:255-264