- BSc in Zoology – Marine Biology, Aberdeen University, Scotland, U.K. (2000)
- MSc in Biological Oceanography, National and Kapodistrian Univeristy of Athens, Athens, Greece (2005)
- PhD in Fisheries Biology, Department of Biology, University of Patras, Rio, Greece (2017-present)
Her main research interest involves the study of the reproductive biology and ageing methodology of fish, and the life-history traits of Chondrichthyan species (sharks, skates and rays) of the Hellenic Seas. She has participated in 6 national and international research programs, where she obtained knowledge on fisheries biology, conservation and protection of marine life, as well as rescuing/ rehabilitating marine mammals in the wild. Since 2013, she has been working as a Research Assistant at the National Data Fisheries Collection Program (DCF) of the HCMR and has also collaborated with the Marine Strategy Framework Directive program (MSFD), from 2019 up to 2022. Occasionally, she is participating in other research programs of the IMBRIW (SEAwise, STREAM) and is involved in several European Workshops, for the conservation of marine life.
In 2017, she gained scholarship as a PhD candidate at the HCMR, to study the biological and ecological role of skates and rays (Batoidae) inhabiting the eastern Ionian Sea, in collaboration with the University of Patras. The aim of this study is to report the spatial distribution of batoid fish in the area (and possible temporal changes), investigate their reproductive strategies and resolve taxonomic uncertainties, due to external morphological similarities. The description of important life-history traits of skates and rays will contribute to future assessments of their conservation status in the IUCN Red List of threatened species.
Overall, she has published in 18 peer-reviewed journals and participated in 26 national and international Conferences; she has also contributed with several chapters in the ICES Maturity Stages Revision Handbook, involving the reproduction of bony and cartilaginous fish. Since 2019, she has been assigned as a reviewer in 8 International Scientific Journals.
- Politikos, Dimitris V., Nikolaos Sykiniotis, Georgios Petasis, Pavlos Dedousis, Alba Ordoñez, Rune Vabø, AikateriniAnastasopoulou, Elde Moen, Chryssi Mytilineou, Arnt-Børre Salberg, Archontia Chatzispyrou, and Ketil Malde(2022) “DeepOtolith v1.0: An Open-Source AI Platform for Automating Fish Age Reading from Otolith or Scale Images” Fishes 7, no. 3: 121. https://doi.org/10.3390/fishes7030121.
- Andrea Bellodi, Anna Benvenuto, Riccardo Melis, Antonello Mulas, Monica Barone, Claudio Barría, AlessiaCariani, Laura Carugati, Archontia Chatzispyrou, Monique Desrochers, Alice Ferrari, Javier Guallart, Farid Hemida, Cecilia Mancusi, Carlotta Mazzoldi, Sergio Ramírez-Amaro, Javier Rey, Danilo Scannella, Fabrizio Serena, Fausto Tinti, Adriana Vella, Maria Cristina Follesa, Rita Cannas (2022) “Call me by my name: unravelling the taxonomy of the gulper shark genus Centrophorus in the Mediterranean Sea through an integrated taxonomic approach”. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society,zlab110, https://doi.org/10.1093/zoolinnean/zlab110
- Zoe Giagkazoglou, Andrew M. Griffiths, Anastasia Imsiridou, Archontia Chatzispyrou, Konstantinos Touloumis, Jake L. Hebb, Dimitra Mylona, Anna K. Malamidou, Evangelia D. Apostolidi, Ioannis Ε. Batjakas, Chrysoula Gubili (2022) “Flying under the radar: DNA barcoding ray wings in Greece detects protected species and umbrella labelling terms”. Food Control. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2021.108517.
- Archontia Chatzispyrou, Chrysoula Gubili, Konstanitnos Touloumis, Dimitrios Karampetsis, Serafeim Kioulouris, Aikaterini Anastasopoulou, Aristeidis Christidis, Panagiota Peristeraki, Ioannis Batjakas, Constantin Koutsikopoulos (2021) “Life-history traits of the marbled electric ray, Torpedo marmorata, Risso 1810, from the Greek Seas (north-eastern Mediterranean Sea)”. Environmental Biology of fishes.https://doi.org/10.1007/s10641-021-01174-9.
- Dimitris V. Politikos, Georgios Petasis, Archontia Chatzispyrou, Chryssi Mytilineou, Aikaterini Anastasopoulou (2021) “Automating fish age estimation combining otolith images and deep learning: The role of multitask learning”. Fisheries Research, 242, 1-11.
- Archontia Chatzispyrou, Chrysoula Gubili, Maria Laiaki, Danai Mantopoulou-Palouka, Stefanos Kavadas (2020) “First record of the marbled ray Dasyatismarmorata (Elasmobranchii: Dasyatidae), from Greece (central Aegean Sea)”. Biodiversity Data Journal, 8: e51100. https://doi.org/10.3897/BDJ.8.e51100.
- Pierluigi Carbonara, Walter Zupa, Aikaterini Anastasopoulou, Andrea Bellodi, Isabella Bitetto, Charis Charilaou, Archontia Chatzispyrou, Romain Elleboode, Antonio Esteban, Maria Cristina Follesa, Igor Isajlovic, Angélique Jadaud, Cristina García-Ruiz, Amalia Giannakaki, Beatriz Guijarro, Sotiris Elias Kiparissis, Alessandro Ligas, Kelig Mahé, Andrea Massaro, Damir Medvesek, Chryssi Mytilineou, Francesc Ordines, PaolaPesci, Cristina Porcu, PanagiotaPeristeraki, IoannisThasitis, Pedro Torres, Maria Teresa Spedicato, Angelo Tursi, Letizia Sion(2019) “Explorative analysis on Mullus barbatus ageing data variability in Mediterranean basin”. Scientia Marina 83S1 (https://doi.org/10.3989/scimar.04999.19A).
- Archontia Chatzispyrou, Maria Aroni, Evgenia Lefkaditou, Kostas Kapiris, Ioannis Giovos, Aikaterini Anastasopoulou(2019) “Some biological information on a female kitefin shark, Dalatiaslicha(Bonnaterre, 1788) stranded in the Laconikos gulf of Greece (SE Ionian Sea)”. Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 19(12): 1069-1072.
- Mario Sbrana, Walter Zupa, Alessandro Ligas, Francesca Capezzuto, Archontia Chatzispyrou, Maria Cristina Follesa, Vita Gancitano, Beatriz Guijaro, Igor Isajlovic, Angelique Jadaud, Olivera Markovic, Reno Micallef, Panagiota Peristeraki, Corrado Piccinetti, Ioannis Thasitis, Pavlos Vidoris, Pierluigi Carbonara(2019) “Spatiotemporal abundance pattern of deep-water rose shrimp, Parapenaeuslongirostris, and Norway lobster, Nephropsnorvegicus, in European Mediterranean waters”. Scientia Marina 83S1 (https://doi.org/10.3989/scimar.04858.27A).
- Pazartzi T., Siaperopoulou S., Gubili C., Maradidou S., Loukovitis D., Chatzispyrou A., Griffiths A.M., Minos G., Imsiridou A.(2019) “High levels of mislabeling in shark meat – investigating patterns of species utilisation with DNA barcoding in Greek retailers”. Food Control,98: 179-186 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2018.11.019).
- Ioannis Giovos ,Archontia Chatzispyrou, Nickos Doumpas, Vasilis-OrestisStoilas, Dimitrios K. Moutopoulos(2018)“Using unconventional sources of information for identifying critical areas for the endangered guitarfish in Greece”. Journal of the Black Sea. Vol.24. No.1: 38-50.
- A. Chatzispyrou, P-N.Lampri, I.Fytilakos, K.Kapiris (2018) “Morphological study of the deep-water rose shrimp Parapenaeuslongirostris (Lucas, 1846) (Crustacea: Decapoda: Dendrobranchiata, Penaeidae) in the eastern Ionian and Aegean Sea (e. Mediterranean Sea)”. Cahiers de Biologie Marine. 59: 1-7.
- A. Chatzispyrou and A.Anastasopoulou(2016) “Otolith weight, fish length and otolith length relationships of the red mullet Mullus barbatus (Linnaeus 1758)”. Mediterranean Marine Science, 17/3, Collective Article B, 825-826.
- P-N. Lampri, A. Chatzispyrou and K.Kapiris(2015) “The growth of appendix masculina of the Norway lobster (Nephropsnorvegicus) in the Central Aegean Sea (e.Mediterranean). Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 15 :1-2.
- Alexandros Karamanlidis, Evgenia Androukaki, Stella Adamantopoulou, Archontia Chatzispyrou, William M. Johnson, Spyros Kotomatas, Anastasios Papadopoulos, Vangelis Paravas, GiorgosPaximadis, Rosa Pires, Eleni Tounta, Panagiotis Dendrinos(2008) “Assesing accidental entanglement as a threat to the Mediterranean monk seal Monachusmonachus”. Endangered Species Research.
- P. Dendrinos, S. Adamantopoulou, E. Androukaki, A. Chatzispyrou, A.A. Karamanlidis, V. Paravas, E. Tounta, &Kotomatas S.(2007) “Mediterranean Monk Seal MonachusMonachus and Fisheries: Conserving Biodiversity and Mitigating a Conflict in Hellenic Seas”. State of Hellenic Fisheries, Institute of Marine Biological Resources, Hellenic Center for Marine Research, Athens, pp.287-293.
- Persefoni Megalofonou and Archontia Chatzispyrou (2006) “Sexual maturity and feeding of the gulper shark, Centrophorusgranulosus, from the Eastern Mediterranean Sea”. CYBIUM, 30(4), 67-74.
- Archontia Chatzispyrou and Persefoni Megalofonou(2005) “Sexual maturity, fecundity and embryonic development of the spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias) in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea’”. Journal of the Marine Biological Associations of the United Kingdom, 85, 1155-1161.