- BSc in Biology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (1986)
- PhD in Zoology, Department of Biology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (1991)
- MA in European History, Department of History and Archaeology, University of Athens (2006)
She has attended special training course in Electric Fishing (Certificate by Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust, UK, 2012).
During 1988-1990, she has held a position as a Research Assistant at the Institute for Neurobiology, Free University of Berlin, Germany and, during 1991, at the Department of Biology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece. During 1992-1995, she has held a position as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom.
From 2001 to 2016, she worked as a Research Associate at the Hellenic Centre for Marine Research and since 2016 as a Research Assistant.
Her current research interests include Biodiversity conservation, Ecology, biology and diet of endemic fish species and interactions of endemic freshwater fish species with alien species. She has participated in 24 national and international projects, in 6 as scientific coordinator or project manager. In 2010, she became a visitor Lecturer at the University of Athens, Department of Methodology, History and Theory of Science, and taught the module of “Selected topics in the history of medicine” for the spring semester.
She has contributed 39 papers in peer-reviewed journals and co-authored 1 book, as well as more than 50 other publications (i.e., conference proceedings, special publications) and 7 technical reports, while she also co-authored another 17 technical reports.
- Karaouzas I., E. Smeti, A. Vourka, L. Vardakas, A. Mentzafou, E. Tornés, S. Sabater, I. Muñoz, N.Th. Skoulikidis & E. Kalogianni (2017). Assessing the ecological effects of water stress and pollution in a temporary river – Implications for water management. Science of the Total Environment (2017), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.09.323 (I.P. 2016: 4.900).
- Kalogianni E., N. Kmentová, E. Harris, B. Zimmerman, S. Giakoumi, Y. Chatzinikolaou & M.P.M. Vanhove (2017). Occurrence and effect of trematode metacercariae in two endangered killifishes from Greece. Parasitology Research 116:3007-3018. DOI 10.1007/s00436-017-5610-z (I.P. 2016: 2.320).
- Vardakas L., E. Kalogianni, A.N. Economou, N. Koutsikos & N.T. Skoulikidis (2017). Mass mortalities and population recovery of an endemic fish assemblage in an intermittent river reach during drying and rewetting. Fundamental and Applied Limnology 190/4, 331–347 (I.P. 2016: 1.170).
- Piria M., P. Simonovic, E. Kalogianni, L. Vardakas, N. Koutsikos, D. Zanella, M. Ristovska, A. Apostolou, A. Adrovic, D. Mrdak, A.S. Tarkan, D. Milosevic, L.N. Zanella, R. Bakiu, F.G. Ekmekci, M. Povz, K. Korro, V. Nikolic, R. Skrijelj, V. Kostov, A. Gregori & M.K. Joy (2017). Alien freshwater fish species in the Balkans-Vectors and pathways of introduction. Fish and Fisheries (2017), pp. 1–32. https://doi.org/10.1111/faf.12242 (I.P. 2016: 9.010).
- Stoumboudi Th.M., R. Barbieri & E. Kalogianni (2017). First Report of an Established Population of Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum, 1792) (Salmonidae) on the Island of Crete, Greece. Acta Zoologica Bulgarica, 9: 99-104 (I.P. 2016: 0.410).
- Kalogianni E., A. Vourka, I. Karaouzas, L. Vardakas, S. Laschou & Th.N. Skoulikidis (2017). Combined effects of water stress and pollution on macroinvertebrate and fish assemblages in a Mediterranean intermittent river. Science of the Total Environment, 603-604, 639-650. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.06.078 (I.P. 2016: 4.900).
- von Schiller D., V. Acuña, I. Aristi, M. Arroita, A. Basaguren, A. Bellin, L. Boyero, A. Butturini, A. Ginebreda, E. Kalogianni, A. Larrañaga, B. Majone, A. Martínez, S. Monroy, I. Muñoz, M. Paunović, O. Pereda, M. Petrovic, J. Pozo, S. Rodríguez-Mozaz, D. Rivas, S. Sabater, F. Sabater, N. Skoulikidis, L. Solagaistua, L. Vardakas & A. Elosegi (2017). River ecosystem processes: A synthesis of approaches, criteria of use and sensitivity to environmental stressors. Science of the Total Environment, 596-597, n. 15 October (2017), 465-480. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.04.08 (I.P. 2016: 4.900).
- Giulivo M., E. Capri, E. Kalogianni, R. Milacic, A. Bellini, F. Ferrari, E. Eljarrat & D. Barceló (2017). Occurrence of halogenated and organophosphate flame retardants in sediment and fish samples from three European river basins. Science of the Total Environment, 586, 782-791 (I.P. 2016: 4.900).
- Vardakas L., E. Kalogianni, C. Papadaki, T.H. Vavalidis, A. Mentzafou, D. Koutsoubas & T.N. Skoulikidis (2017). Defining critical habitat conditions for the conservation of three endemic and endangered cyprinids in a Mediterranean intermittent river before the onset of drought. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems. doi: 10.1002/aqc.2735 (I.P. 2016: 3.130).
- Skoulikidis N.T., S. Sabater, T. Datry, M.M. Morais, A. Buffagni, G. Dörflinger, S. Zogaris, M. Del Mar Sánchez-Montoya, N. Bonada, E. Kalogianni, J. Rosado, L. Vardakas, A.M. De Girolamo & K. Tockner (2017). Non-perennial Mediterranean rivers in Europe: status, pressures, and challenges for research and management. Science of the Total Environment, 577, 1-18 (I.P. 2016: 4.900).
- Vardakas L., E. Kalogianni, S. Zogaris, N. Koutsikos, T. Vavalidis, D. Koutsoubas & N.Th. Skoulikidis (2015). Distribution patterns of fish assemblages in an Eastern Mediterranean intermittent river. Knowledge and Management of Aquatic Ecosystems, 416, 30 (I.P. 2016: 0.978).
- Vogiatzi E., E. Kalogianni, B. Zimmerman, S. Giakoumi, R. Barbieri, P. Paschou, A. Magoulas, D. Tsaparis, N. Poulakakis & C.S. Tsigenopoulos (2014). Reduced genetic variation and strong genetic population structure in the freshwater killifish Valencia letourneuxi (Valenciidae) based on nuclear and mitochondrial markers. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 111: 334-349 (I.P. 2016: 1.984).
- Kalogianni E., S. Giakoumi, A. Andriopoulou & Y. Chatzinikolaou (2014). Prey utilisation and trophic overlap between the non native mosquitofish and a native fish in two Mediterranean rivers. Mediterranean Marine Science, 15/2, 287-301 (I.P. 2016: 1.873).
- Geiger M.F., Herder F., Monaghan M.T., Almada V., Barbieri R., Bariche M., Berrebi P., Bohlen J., Casal-Lopez M., Delmastro G.B., Denys G.P.J., Dettai A., Doadrio I., Kalogianni E., Kärst H., Kottelat M., Kovačić M., Laporte M., Lorenzoni M., Marčić Z., Özuluğ M., Perdices A., Perea S., Persat H., Porcelotti S., Puzzi C., Robalo J., Šanda R., Schneider M., Šlechtová V., Stoumboudi M., Walter S., Freyhof J. (2014). Spatial heterogeneity in the Mediterranean Biodiversity Hotspot affects barcoding accuracy of its freshwater fishes. Molecular Ecology Resources DOI:10.1111/1755-0998.12257
- Koutsikos N, Zogaris S, Vardakas L, Tachos V, Kalogianni E, Šanda R, Chatzinikolaou Y, Giakoumi S, Economidis PS, Economou AN (2012) Recent contributions to the distribution of the freshwater ichthyofauna in Greece. Mediterranean Marine Science 13:268-277
- Vanhove MPM, Economou AN, Zogaris S, Larmuseau MHD, Giakoumi S, Kalogianni E, Volckaert FAM, Huyse T (2012) Phylogenetics and biogeography of the Balkan ‘sand gobies’ (Teleostei: Gobiidae): vulnerable species in need of taxonomic revision. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 105:73-91
- Apostolidis AP, Stoumboudi MTh, Kalogianni E, Cote G, Bernatchez L (2011) Genetic divergence among native trout Salmo trutta populations from southern Balkans based on mitochondrial DNA and microsatellite variation. Journal of Fish Biology 79:1950-1960
- Kalogianni E, Alexis M, Tsangaris C, Abraham M, Wendelaar Bonga SE, Iger Y, Van Ham EH, Stoumboudi MTh (2011) Cellular responses in the skin of the gilthead sea bream Sparus aurata and the sea bass Dicentrarchus labrax exposed to high ammonia. Journal of Fish Biology 78:1152-1169
- Kalogianni E, Giakoumi S, Andriopoulou A, Chatzinikolaou Y (2010) Feeding Ecology of the Critically Endangered Valencia letourneuxi (Valenciidae). Aquatic Ecology 44:289-299
- Kalogianni E, Giakoumi S, Zogaris S, Chatzinikolaou Y, Zimmerman B, Economou AN (2010) Current distribution and ecology of the critically endangered Valencia letourneuxi in Greece. Biologia 65:128-139
- Perdikaris C, Paschos I, Gouva E, Giakoumi S, Pappas E, Kalogianni E (2010) Rapid population collapse of the critically endangered Valencia letourneuxi in Kalamas basin of Northwest Greece. Aquaculture, Aquarium, Conservation & Legislation International Journal of the Bioflux Society 3:69-75
- Vogiatzi E, Kalogianni E, Giakoumi S, Magoulas A, Tsigenopoulos CS (2009) Characterization of polymorphic microsatellite markers in Valencia letourneuxi (Valenciidae) and cross-amplification in two other cyprinodontiform species. Conservation Genetics Resources Springer Netherlands 1:27-30