- BSc in Geology, Faculty of Sciences, Department of Geology, University of Athens (1991-1996)
- MSc in in Environmental and Ecological Sciences, Lancaster University, UK (1998-1999)
- PhD in the Faculty of Sciences, Department of Geology, University of Athens (2000-2005)
Dr. Elias Dimitriou is a Researcher with expertise in Water Resources Management, wetlands protection and biodiversity conservation. He received his BSc in Geology from the University of Athens and attended successfully the MSc in Environmental and Ecological Sciences at Lancaster University – UK, during the period 1998-1999.
He started working as an external assistant at the National Centre for Marine Research (NCMR) in the year 2000 with main tasks that included hydrologic and water resources management studies focusing on the environmental water demands (www.life-trichonis.gr).
In 2005, he undertook the leadership of a Life-Nature project (www.life-medponds.gr) which ended successfully in 2008 and received an award as one of the best Life-Nature projects of that year at a European level.
In 2007, he was granted a Post-doc fellowship from the Hellenic State Scholarships Foundation for a research project entitled: ‘Assessing groundwater vulnerability and risk methodologies and quantifying the relevant impacts from land use changes’. He also became a visitor Lecturer at the University of Ioannina, Department of Environmental and Natural Resources Management and taught the modules of Hydrogeology and Hydrology for 3 consecutive semesters. At the same year (2007), he became a permanent Researcher in the Institute of Inland Waters – HCMR.
- Mentzafou, A., Conides, A., & Dimitriou, E. (2019). Climate change assessment impacts on the coastal area of Maliakos Gulf, Greece. Journal of Water and Climate Change. https://doi.org/10.2166/wcc.2019.209
- Mentzafou, A., Panagopoulos, Y., & Dimitriou, E. (2019). Designing the National Network for Automatic Monitoring of Water Quality Parameters in Greece. Water, 11(6), 1310. doi.org/10.3390/w11061310
- Mentzafou, A., Dimitriou, E. (2019). Nitrogen loading and natural pressures on the water quality of a shallow Mediterranean lake. Science of the Total Environment, 646, 134–143. doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.07.249
- Mentzafou, A., & Dimitriou, E. (2019). Time Series Analysis of the Physicochemical Parameters and Meteorological Factors in a Mediterranean Lagoon. Environmental Processes, 6(1), 119–134. DOIhttps://doi.org/10.1007/s40710-019-00346-1
- Mentzafou, A., Varlas, G., Dimitriou, E., Papadopoulos, A., Pytharoulis, I., & Katsafados, P. (2019). Modeling the Effects of Anthropogenic Land Cover Changes to the Main Hydrometeorological Factors in a Regional Watershed, Central Greece. Climate, 7(11), 129. doi.org/10.3390/cli7110129
- Panagopoulos, Y., Dimitriou, E., & Skoulikidis, N. (2019). Vulnerability of a Northeast Mediterranean Island to Soil Loss. Can Grazing Management Mitigate Erosion? Water, 11(7), 1491. doi.org/10.3390/w11071491
- Papaioannou G, Papadaki C, Dimitriou E. Sensitivity of habitat hydraulic model outputs to DTM and computational mesh resolution. Ecohydrology. 2019;e2182. doi.org/10.1002/eco.2182
- Papaioannou, G., Varlas, G., Terti, G., Papadopoulos, A., Loukas, A., Panagopoulos, Y., and Dimitriou, E. (2019). Flood Inundation Mapping at Ungauged Basins Using Coupled Hydrometeorological–Hydraulic Modelling: The Catastrophic Case of the 2006 Flash Flood in Volos City, Greece. Water, 11(11), 2328 (doi: 10.3390/w11112328).
- Papaioannou, G., Papadaki, Ch., Dimitriou, E. (2019) Assessing Weighted Usable Area Sensitivity Using UAV and 2D Hydraulic Modelling, Ecohydrology. doi: 10.1002/eco.2182
- Stefanidis, K.; Dimitriou, E. (2019). Differentiation in Aquatic Metabolism between Littoral Habitats with Floating-Leaved and Submerged Macrophyte Growth Forms in a Shallow Eutrophic Lake. Water, 11, 287. https://doi.org/10.3390/w11020287
- Stefanidis, K.; Papaioannou, G.; Markogianni, V.; Dimitriou, E. (2019). Water Quality and Hydromorphological Variability in Greek Rivers: A Nationwide Assessment with Implications for Management. Water, 11, 1680. https://doi.org/10.3390/w11081680
- Stamou, A, Polydera, A, Papadonikolaki, G, Martínez-Capel, F, & … (2018). Determination of environmental flows in rivers using an integrated hydrological-hydrodynamic-habitat modelling approach. Journal of environmental management, 209, 273-285
- Markogianni, V, Kalivas, D, Petropoulos, G, & Dimitriou, E (2018). An Appraisal of the Potential of Landsat 8 in Estimating Chlorophyll-a, Ammonium Concentrations and Other Water Quality Indicators. Remote Sensing, 10(7), 1018
- Styllas, M, Dimitriou, E, Gritzalis, K, Koutsodimou, M, Karaouzas, I, & … (2018). Mid-Holocene changes in the geochemical and biotic conditions of an aquatic ecosystem, in Eastern Mediterranean. Annales de Limnologie-International Journal of Limnology, 54, 21
- Markogianni, V, Anastasopoulou, E, Tsoupras, A, & Dimitriou, E (2018). Identification of Pollution Patterns and Sources in a Semi-Arid Urban Stream. Journal of Ecological Engineering Vol, 19, 2
- Michalopoulos, D, & Dimitriou, E (2018). Assessment of Pollution Risk Mapping Methods in an Eastern Mediterranean Catchment. Journal of Ecological Engineering, 19(1)
- Markogianni, V, Varkitzi, I, Pagou, K, Pavlidou, A, & Dimitriou, E (2017). Nutrient flows and related impacts between a Mediterranean river and the associated coastal area. Continental Shelf Research, 134, 1-14
- Papadaki, C, Soulis, K, Ntoanidis, L, Zogaris, S, Dercas, N, & Dimitriou, E (2017). Comparative assessment of environmental flow estimation methods in a mediterranean mountain river. Environmental management, 60(2), 280-292
- Papadaki, C, Bellos, V, Ntoanidis, L, & Dimitriou, E (2017). Comparison of West Balkan adult trout habitat predictions using a Pseudo-2D and a 2D hydrodynamic model. Hydrology Research, 48(6), 1697-1709
- Varkitzi, I, Politi, D, & Dimitriou, E (2017). Bioremediation potential of three eastern Mediterranean microalgae strains for nitrogen polluted urban water bodies. Journal of Environmental Protection and Ecology, 18(4), 1624-1636
- Mentzafou, A, Vamvakaki, C, Zacharias, I, Gianni, A, & Dimitriou, E (2017). Climate change impacts on a Mediterranean river and the associated interactions with the adjacent coastal area. Environmental Earth Sciences, 76(6), 259
- Dimitriou, E, Moussoulis, E, Díaz-Paniagua, C, & Serrano, L (2017). Hydrodynamic numerical modelling of the water level decline in four temporary ponds of the Doñana National Park (SW Spain). Journal of Arid Environments, 147, 90-102
- Papadaki, C, Soulis, K, Muñoz-Mas, R, Martinez-Capel, F, Zogaris, S, & … (2016). Potential impacts of climate change on flow regime and fish habitat in mountain rivers of the south-western Balkans. Science of the Total Environment, 540, 418-428
- Muñoz-Mas, R, Papadaki, C, Martinez-Capel, F, Zogaris, S, Ntoanidis, L, & … (2016). Generalized additive and fuzzy models in environmental flow assessment: A comparison employing the West Balkan trout (Salmo farioides; Karaman, 1938). Ecological Engineering, 91, 365-377
- Mentzafou, A, Dimitriou, E, & Zogaris, S (2016). Integrated ecological assessment and restoration planning in a heavily modified peri-urban Mediterranean lagoon. Environmental Earth Sciences, 75(11), 983
- Dimitriou, E, & Mentzafou, A (2016). Assessing the impacts of climate and land use changes on the water quality of a transboundary Balkan River. Water, Air, & Soil Pollution, 227(6), 209
- Markogianni, V, & Dimitriou, E (2016). Landuse and NDVI change analysis of Sperchios river basin (Greece) with different spatial resolution sensor data by Landsat/MSS/TM and OLI. Desalination and Water Treatment, 57(60), 29092-29103
- Tsirimpi, A, & Dimitriou, E (2016). Alterations in precipitation and drought indices over the last thirty years in Peloponnese, Greece. Eur Water, 54, 27-41
- Markogianni, V, Mentzafou, A, & Dimitriou, E (2016). Assessing the impacts of human activities and soil erosion on the water quality of Plastira mountainous Mediterranean Lake, Greece. Environmental Earth Sciences, 75(10), 915