BSc in Biology, School of Biology, University of Athens (1979-1985)
She has attended post graduate courses on the management of marine resources in the University of Crete.
During 1987-2002, she has held a position as a research associate in IMBC and the University of Crete. Since 2003, she holds a position as a research associate in the Institute of Marine Biological Resources and Inland Waters of HCMR.
She has participated in more that forty national and international research projects concerning fishery biology and dynamics of large pelagic and demersal species.
She is the national coordinator of the Mediterranean International Trawl Survey (MEDITS), and the scientific responsible for the large pelagic tagging campaign in Greece (conventional and satellite electronic tagging). She regularly participates in the working groups of the International Committee for the Conservation of the Atlantic Tunas (ICCAT). She is a member of the MEDITS Steering Committee.
Her research interests include fishery biology, dynamics and management of large pelagic, demersal species and invasive fish species, as well as experimental fishing surveys and fish tagging methods.
She has participated in the organizing Committee of several international Symposia and Workshops. She has contributed 22 papers in peer-reviewed journals, 6 book chapters, as well as more than 50 other publications (i.e. conference proceedings, special publications, newspaper and magazine articles) and co-authored 36 technical reports.
She was the first to identify and report the presence of the highly toxic invasive fish Lagocephalus sceleratus in Crete and participated in the campaign for raising public awareness on this issue.
She has succeeded to tag small juvenile swordfish with mini satellite tags for the first time.
She is on regular contact with fishermen, the public, as well as fisheries and port authorities for fish & fisheries issues.
- Peristeraki P., Bitetto I., Carbonara P., Carlucci R., Certain G., De Carlo F., Gristina M., Kamidis N., Pesci P., Stagioni M., Valls M., Tserpes G. 2019. Investigation of spatiotemporal patterns in mean tem¬perature and mean trophic level of MEDITS survey catches in the Mediterranean Sea. Sci. Mar. https://doi. org/10.3989/scimar.04835.12A.
- M. Sbrana, W. Zupa, A. Ligas, F. Capezzuto, A. Chatzispyrou, M. Cristina Follesa, V. Gancitano, B. Guijarro, I. Isajlovic, A. Jadaud, O. Markovic, R. Micallef, P. Peristeraki et al., 2019. Spatiotemporal abundance pattern of deep-water rose shrimp, Parapenaeus longirostris, and Norway lobster, Nephrops norvegicus, in European Mediterranean waters. Sci. Mar. DOI : 10.3989/scimar.04858.27ª.
- C. García-Ruiz, M.l Hidalgo, P. Carpentieri, U. Fernandez-Arcaya, P. Gaudio, M. González, A. Jadaud, A. Mulas, P. Peristeraki, J.L.Rueda, S, Vitale, G. D’Onghia, 2019. Spatio-temporal patterns of macrourid fish species in the northern Mediterranean Sea. Scientia Marina. DOI : 10.3989/scimar.04889.11A
- Kiparissis, P. Peristeraki, K. Tampakakis, I. Kosoglou, V. Doudoumis and C. Batargias. 2018. Range expansion of a restricted lessepsian: westbound expansion breakthrough of Lagocephalus spadiceus (Richardson, 1844) (Actinopterygii: Tetraodontidae). BioInvasions Records Volume 7, Issue 2: 197–203, DOI: https://doi.org/10.3391/bir.2018.7.2.13
- Peristeraki P, Tserpes G, Lampadariou N, Stergiou KI (2017) Comparing demersal megafaunal species diversity along the depth gradient within the South Aegean and Cretan Seas (Eastern Mediterranean). PLoS ONE 12(9): e0184241. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0184241
- Keller, S., Bartolino, V., Hidalgo, M., Bitetto, I., Casciaro, L., Cuccu, D., Esteban, A., Garcia, C., Garofalo, G., Josefidis, M., Jadaud, A., Lefkaditou, E., Maiorano, P., Manfredi, C., Marceta, B., Massutí, E., Micallef, R., Peristeraki, P., Relini, G., Sartor, P., Spedicato, M.T., Tserpes, G. & A. Quetglas, 2016. Large-scale spatio-temporal patterns of Mediterranean cephalopod diversity. PLoS ONE, 11(1): e0146469. doi:10.1371/journal. pone.0146469, 19pp.
- Jereb, P., Cannas, R., Maiorano, P., Bello, G., Garibaldi, F., Mereu, M., Ancona, F.G., Ammendolia, G., Battaglia, P., Duysak, Ö., Hoving, H.J.T., Lefkaditou, E., Lipinski, M.R., Melis, R., Peristeraki P. et al., 2016. The deep-water squid Octopoteuthis sicula Rüppell, 1844 (Cephalopoda: Octopoteuthidae) as the single species of the genus occurring in the Mediterranean Sea. Marine Biology, 163(9), 192, 18pp.
- Brind’Amour A, Rochet MJ, Ordines F, Hosack GR, Berthelé O, Mérigot B, Carbonara P, Follesa MC, Jadaud A, Lefkaditou E, Maiorano P, Peristeraki P, Mannini A, Rabiller M, Spedicato MT, Tserpes G. and Trenkel VM. 2016. Environmental drivers explain regional differences of fish and invertebrate functional group changes across the Mediterranean Sea. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 562: 19-35. doi: 10.3354/meps11912
- Granger, J-M. Fromentin, N. Bez, G. Relini, C. Meynard, J-C. Gaertner, P.a Maiorano, C. Garcia Ruiz, C. Follesa, M. Gristina, P. Peristeraki et al., 2015. Large-scale spatio-temporal monitoring highlights hotspots of demersal fish diversity in the Mediterranean Sea. Progress in Oceanography, 130: 65-74.
- C.Tsikliras, P. Peristeraki, G.Tserpes and K. I.Stergiou, 2015.Mean temperature of the catch (MTC) in the Greek Seas based on landings and survey data. Frontiers in Marine Science, pp. 1-6, www.frontiersin.org. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2015.00023
- J-N. Druon, F. Fiorentino, M. Murenu, L. Knittweis, F. Colloca, C. Osio, B. Mérigot, G. Garofalo, A. Mannini, A. Jadaud, M. Sbrana, G. Scarcella, G. Tserpes, P. Peristeraki, R. Carlucci, J. Heikkonen, 2014. Modelling of European hake nurseries in the Mediterranean Sea: an ecological niche approach. Progress in Oceanography (2015), pp. 188-204. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0079661114001803
- Tserpes, C. D. Maravelias, M. Pantazi, P. Peristeraki, 2013. Distribution of relatively rare demersal elasmobranchs in the eastern Mediterranean. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, (117), p. 48–53.
- GOLANI, D., B. APPELBAUM-GOLANI and P. PERISTERAKI, 2013. Westward range extension of the Lessepsian migrant the Shrimp scad Alepes djedaba (Forsskål, 1775) in the Mediterranean. Annales series historia naturalis 23(2), p. 115-118.
- Tserpes, G. and P. Peristeraki, 2012. Albacore catch rate variations in the Greek drifting longline fisheries. Collect. Vol. Sci. Pap. ICCAT, 68(2): 492-495.
- Maravelias CD, Tserpes G, Pantazi M, Peristeraki N (2012) Habitat selection and temporal abundance fluctuations of common demersal cartilaginous fish in the Aegean Sea (eastern Mediterranean). PLoS ONE 7:e35474
- Lefkaditou E, Peristeraki P, Chartosia N, Salman A (2011) Recent findings of Ommastrephes bartramii (Cephalopoda: Ommastrephidae) in the eastern Mediterranean and implication on its range expansion. Mediterranean Marine Science 12:413-428
- Tserpes G, Peristeraki P, Di Natale A, Mangano A (2011) Analysis of swordfish (Xiphias gladius)catch rates in the central-eastern Mediterranean. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers66:1495-1505
- Tserpes G, Tzanatos E, Peristeraki P (2011) Spatial management of the Mediterranean bottom-trawl fisheries; the case of the southern Aegean Sea. Hydrobiologia 670:267-274
- Tserpes G, Tzanatos E, Peristeraki P (2011) Use of risk analysis for the Evaluation of different management strategies for the Mediterranean swordfish stock. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 66:1506-1514
- Tserpes G, Peristeraki P (2010) Differences in the selection pattern of drifting longlines used in the greek swordfish fishery. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 65: 302-306
- Tserpes G, Tzanatos E, Peristeraki P, Placenti V, Kell L (2009) A bio-economic evaluation of different magement measures for the Mediterranean swordfish. Fisheries Research 96:160-166
- Tserpes G, Tzanatos E, Peristeraki P, Placenti V, Kell L (2009) Evaluating different management scenarios for the Mediterranean swordfish fishery: a bioeconomic approach. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 64:2079-2092
- Kasapidis P, Mejuto J, Tserpes G, Antoniou A, Garcia-Cortes B, Peristeraki P, Oikonomaki K, Kotoulas G, Magoulas A (2008) Genetic structure of the swordfish (Xiphias gladius) stocks in the Atlantic using microsatellite DNA analysis. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 61:89-98
- Kotoulas G, Mejuto J, Antoniou A, Kasapidis P, Tserpes G, Piccinetti C, Peristeraki P, Garcia-Cortes B, Oikonomaki K, De La Serna JM, Magoulas A (2008) Global genetic structure of swordfish (Xiphias gladius) as revealed by microsatellite DNA markers. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 61:79-88
- Peristeraki P, Kypraios N, Lazarakis G, Tserpes G (2008) By catches and discards of the Greek swordfish fishery. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 62:1070-1073
- Tserpes G, Peristeraki P (2008) Discards of undersized swordfish individuals in the greek swordfish fisheries. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 62:1081-1083
- Tserpes G, Peristeraki P, Di Natale A, Mangano A (2008) Standardization of swordfish (Xiphias gladius) catch rates from the Greek and Italian Mediterranean longline fisheries. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 62:1074-1080
- Tserpes G, Peristeraki P, Valavanis VD (2008) Distribution of swordﬁsh in the eastern Mediterranean, in relation to environmental factors and the species biology. Hydrobiologia 612:241-250
- Tserpes G, Politou C-Y, Peristeraki P, Kallianiotis A, Papaconstantinou C (2008) Identiﬁcation of hake distribution pattern and nursery grounds in the Hellenic seas by means of generalized additive models. Hydrobiologia 612:125-133
- Kasapides P, Peristeraki P, Tserpes G, Magoulas A (2007) A new record of the Lessepsian invasive fish Etrumeus teres (Osteichthyes: Clupeidae) in the Mediterranean Sea (Aegean, Greece). Aquatic invasions 2:152-154
- Kasapidis P, Peristeraki P, Tserpes G, Magoulas A (2007) First record of the Lessepsian migrant Lagocephalus sceleratus (Gmelin 1789) (Osteichthyes: Tetraodontidae) in the Cretan Sea (Aegean, Greece). Aquatic Invasions 2:71-73
- Peristeraki P, Lazarakis G, Skarvelis K, Georgiadis M, Tserpes G (2007) Additional records on the occurrence of alien fish species in the eastern Mediterranean Sea. Mediterranean Marine Science 7:61-67
- Peristeraki P, Lazarakis G, Skarvelis K, Kypraios N, Tserpes G (2007) Temporal growth differences of swordfish recruits in the E. Mediterrannean. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 60:2063-2068
- Tserpes G, Peristeraki P (2007) Effects of a seasonal closure of the Mediterranean swordfish fisheries on the stock production levels. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 60:2059-2062
- Tserpes G, Moutopoulos D, Peristeraki P, Katselis G, Koutsikopoulos C (2006) Study of swordfish fishing dynamics in the eastern Mediterranean by means of machine-learning approaches. Fisheries Research 78:196-202
- Tserpes G, Tatamanidis G, Peristeraki P (2006) Oilfish and shark by-catches of the Greek swordfish fishery in the E. Mediterranean; a preliminary analysis applied to “presence-absence” data. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 59:987-991
- Peristeraki P, Tserpes G, Lefkaditou E (2005) What cephalopod remains from Xiphias gladius stomachs can imply about predator-prey interactions in the Mediterranean Sea? Journal of Fish Biology 67:549-554
- Tserpes G, Peristeraki P (2004) Catchability differences among the longlines used in the Greek swordfish fishery. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 56:860-863
- Tserpes G, Peristeraki P, Di Natale A (2004) Standardised catch rates for swordfish (Xiphias gladius) from the Italian and Greek fisheries operating in the central-eastern Mediterranean. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 56:850-859
- Kotoulas G, Mejuto J, Tserpes G, Garcia-Cortes B, Peristeraki P, De la Serna JM, Magoulas A (2003) DNA microsatellite markers in service of swordfish stock structure analysis in the Atlantic and Mediterranean. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 55: 1632-1639
- Lefcaditou E, Peristeraki P, Bekas P, Tserpes G, Politou C-Y, Petrakis G (2003) Cephalopods distribution in the southern Aegean Sea. Mediterranean Marine Science 4:79-86
- Peristeraki P, Tserpes G, Koutsikopoulos C, Katselis G, Kallianiotis A (2003) Length and weight conversion equations for bluefin tuna from the eastern Mediterranean Sea. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 55:91-93
- Stergiou KI, Tserpes G, Peristeraki P (2003) Modelling and forecasting monthly swordfish catches in the Eastern Mediterranean. Scientia Marina 67:283-290
- Tserpes G, Darby C, Di Natale A, Peristeraki P, Mangano A (2003) Assessment of the Mediterranean swordfish stock based on Greek and Italian fisheries data. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 55:94-106
- Tserpes G, Peristeraki P, Di Natale A, Mangano A (2003) Length – weight relationships for the Mediterranean swordfish. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 55:85-90
- Tserpes G, Peristeraki P (2002) Trends in the abundance of demersal species in the southern Aegean Sea. Scientia Marina 66:243-252
- Tserpes G, Peristeraki P, Di Natale A (2001) Size distribution of swordfish landings in the central and eastern Mediterranean. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 52:733-739
- Tserpes G, Peristeraki P, Somarakis S (2001) On the reproduction of swordfish (Xiphias gladius L.) in the Eastern Mediterranean. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 52:740-744
- Tserpes G, Peristeraki P, Potamias G, Tsimenides N (1999) Species distribution in the southern Aegean sea based on bottom-trawl surveys. Aquatic Living Resources 12:167-175
- Somarakis S, Kostikas I, Peristeraki N, Tsimenides N (1997) Fluctuating asymmetry in the otoliths of larval anchovy Engraulis encrasicolus and the use of developmental instability as an indicator of condition in larval fish. Marine Ecology Progress Series 151:191-203
- Tserpes G, Peristeraki P, Tsimenides N (1993) Greek swordfish fishery; some trends in the size composition of the catches. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers 40:137-140
- Tserpes G., P. Peristeraki, and A. Di Natale A, 2003. Swordfish abundance trends in the Mediterranean. In: Mediterranean biological time series, CIESM Workshop Monographs No 22, p. 101-108.
- Tserpes G., P. Peristeraki, and J. R. Nielsen, 2006. Ecological Side-Effects of Fishing from the Fisheries Management Perspective. In: “The Knowledge Base for Fisheries Management”. Eds. L. Motos, D.C. Wilson. Elsevier, Oxford, Developments in Aquaculture and Fisheries Science, 36, pp. 454 (267-294).
- Peristeraki, 2007. Fisheries independed assessment methods: Tagging. In: “State of Hellenic Fisheries”. (C. Papaconstantinou, A, Zenetos, V. Vassilopoulou & G. Tserpes (eds) HCMR Publ., 369-374.
- Peristeraki P. & P. Megalophonou, 2007. Sharks and Rays. In: “State of Hellenic Fisheries”. (C. Papaconstantinou, A, Zenetos, V. Vassilopoulou & G. Tserpes (eds) HCMR Publ., 433-439.
- C-Y. Politou, P. Peristeraki and A. Kallianiotis, 2007. Fisheries independed assessment methods: Demersal surveys. In: “State of Hellenic Fisheries”. (C. Papaconstantinou, A, Zenetos, V. Vassilopoulou & G. Tserpes (eds) HCMR Publ., 360-368.
- G. Tserpes & P. Peristeraki, 2007. Highly migratory species. In: “State of Hellenic Fisheries”. (C. Papaconstantinou, A, Zenetos, V. Vassilopoulou & G. Tserpes (eds) HCMR Publ., 208-212.
- Tzanatos E., Georgiadis M., Peristeraki P. (in press): Focus on the status, problems and management of small-scale fisheries in Greece. In: Pascual-Fernandez J., Pita C., Bavinck M. (Eds.). Small-Scale Fisheries in Europe: Status, resilience and governance. Springer, MARE Publication Series.