- BA in Geography (major) and Biology (minor), Faculty of Environment, School of Geography, Simon Fraser University, Canada (1989-1995)
- MSc in Ecology-Theory and Techniques, Faculty of Science and Engineering, School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales- Bangor, United Kingdom (2000-2001)
- PhD in Environmental Management, in the Department of Environmental and Natural Resources Management, School of Natural Resources and Enterprises Management, University of Ioannina, Agrinio, Greece (2003-2009)
r. Zogaris has attended special training courses in bioengineering, neurolinguistic programming, electrofishing, scuba diving, cartography and first aid. During 1997-2000, he held a position as research contractor of the Zoological Museum of the National University of Athens (ornithological research). Since 2002, he is associated with HCMR and since 2005 he is visiting lecturer at College Year in Athens (Study Abroad Programme). He has also taught an MSc level unit at the Inter-University Programme on Sustainable Management of Protected Areas at the University of Ioannina.
His research interests include:
- Ichthyology and inland waters biogeography
- Fish as bioindicators to assess ecosystem integrity in lotic aquatic ecosystems particularly in Greece, Cyprus and the Middle East
- Faunal and habitat survey and monitoring methodology; particularly bioassessment applications with fishes, birds, and riparian vegetation
- Wetland and river surveys, assessments and ecological restoration (applications in temporary rivers, environmental flow regulation, urban wetlands, coastal zone management)
- Alien and translocated fish species ecology and their ecosystem impacts
- Protected-areas creation, management and sustainability
- Natural history interpretation, conservation education, ecotourism, public awareness.
Dr Zogaris has worked in collaboration with many organizations at the international level, particularly from Portugal, Germany, Austria, Belgium, The Netherlands, Spain, Slovenia, Italy, Montenegro, Poland, Bulgaria, Turkey, Cyprus, UK, USA, Egypt, Qatar, Kuwait and Canada.He has participated in more than 20 national and international projects at HCMR. He was a member of the EU intercallibration process for the Water Framework Directive (representing Greece for river fishes) and led the drafting of the WFD intercallibration report on river fishes for the Republic of Cyprus.
He has participated in the Steering Committee’s of several high-level initiatives and workshops, including Greece’s master plan for protected areas (2000), river riparian zone research networks, endangered bird species conservation action plans, The Cyprus Biodiversity Strategy (2012), IUCN Key Biodiversity Areas, and electrofishing sampling technical method training. He has designed and led many educational field trips for several conferences (e.g. IAVS Crete) and other educational and ecotourism initiatives (CYA Study Abroad Program, etc).
Dr. Zogaris has contributed 24 papers in peer-reviewed journals, 13 book chapters, 7 books (as co-author and editor), as well as more than 180 other publications (i.e., conference proceedings, special publications, magazines, published technical reports). He has helped develop 11 natural history exhibits and 7 documentary films and has designed environmental interpretation and visitor management schemes in many protected areas.
- Vanhove M, Economou A, Zogaris S, Giakoumi S, Zanella D, Volckaert F, Huyse T (2013) The Gyrodactylus (Monogenea, Gyrodactylidae) parasite fauna of freshwater sand gobies (Teleostei, Gobioidei) in their centre of endemism, with description of seven new species. Parasitology Research (in press)
- Zogaris S, Maclaine J, Koutsikos N, Chatzinikolaou Y (2013) Does the River Blenny Salaria fluviatilis (Asso, 1801) still survive on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus? Journal of Natural History (in press)
- Dimitriou E, Mentzafou A, Zogaris S, Tzortziou M, Gritzalis K, Karaouzas I, Nikolaidis Ch (2012) Assessing the environmental status and identifying the dominant pressures of a trans-boundary river catchment, to facilitate efficient management and mitigation practices. Environmental Earth Sciences 66:1839-1852
- Koutsikos N, Zogaris S, Vardakas L, Tachos V, Kalogianni E, Šanda R, Chatzinikolaou Y, Giakoumi S, Economidis PS, Economou AN (2012) Recent contributions to the distribution of the freshwater ichthyofauna in Greece. Mediterranean Marine Science 13:268-277
- Vanhove MPM, Economou AN, Zogaris S, Larmuseau MHD, Giakoumi S, Kalogianni E, Volckaert FAM, Huyse T (2012) Phylogenetics and biogeography of the Balkan ‘sand gobies’ (Teleostei: Gobiidae): vulnerable species in need of taxonomic revision. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 105:73-91
- Zogaris S, Chatzinikolaou Y, Koutsikos NE, Economou AN, Oikonomou E, Michaelides G, Hadjisterikotis E, Beaumont WRC, Ferreira MT (2012) Freshwater fish assemblages in Cyprus with emphasis on the effects of dams. Acta Ichthyologica et Piscatoria 42:165-175
- Zogaris S, Chatzinikolaou YG, Koutsikos N, Oikomou , Michaelidis E, Hadjisterikotis E, Beaumont WRC, Economou AN, Ferreira MT (2012) Observations on inland fish assemblages and the influence of dams in Cyprus. Acta Ichthyologica et Piscatoria 42:165-175
- Chatzinikolaou Y, Ntemiri K, Zogaris S (2011) River riparian zone assessment using a rapid site-based index in Greece. Fresenius Environmental Bulletin 20:296-302
- Skoulikidis N, Vardakas L, Karaouzas I, Economou A, Dimitriou E, Zogaris S (2011) Assessing water stress in Mediterranean lotic systems: insights from an artificially intermittent river in Greece. Aquatic Sciences Special Issue: Recent Perspectives on Temporary River Ecology 73:581-597
- Vanhove MPM, Kovacic M, Koutsikos NE, Zogaris S, Vardakas LE, Huyse T, Economou AN (2011) First record of a landlocked population of marine Millerigobius macrocephalus (Perciformes: Gobiidae): observations from a unique spring-fed karstic lake (Lake Vouliagmeni, Greece) and phylogenetic positioning. Zoologischer Anzeiger 250:195-204
- Zogaris S, Apostolou A (2011) First record of the Pontian Monkey Goby Neogobius fluviatilis (Pallas, 1814) in the Evros River (Greece); Is it an alien species? Mediterranean Marine Science 12:454-461
- Bergmeier E, Dimopoulos P, Zogaris S(2010) Retama retam (Forssk.)Web. In Greuter, W. & Raus, T.(eds). Med-Checklist Notulae 29. Willdenowia 40:197
- Kalogianni E, Giakoumi S, Zogaris S, Chatzinikolaou Y, Zimmerman B, Economou AN (2010) Current distribution and ecology of the critically endangered Valencia letourneuxi in Greece. Biologia 65:128-139
- Zogaris S, Dussling U (2010) On the occurance of Pteromylaeus bovinus (Geoffroy St-Hilaire, 1817) in the Amvrakikos Gulf. Mediterranean Marine Science 11:177-184
- Zenetos A, Pancucci-Papadopoulou MA, Zogaris S, Papastergiadou E,Vardakas L, Aligizaki K, Economou AN (2009) Aquatic alien species in Greece: tracking sources, patterns and effects on the ecosystem. Journal of Biological Research-Thessaloniki 12:135-172
- Zogaris S, Chatzinikolaou Y, Dimopoulos P (2009) Assessing environmental degradation of montane riparian zones in Greece. Journal of Environmental Biology 30:719-726
- Zogaris S, Economou AN, Dimopoulos P (2009) Ecoregions in the southern Balkans: should their boundaries be revised? Environmental Management 43:682-697
- Zogaris S, Chatzinikolaou Y, Dimopoulos P (2008) Riparian woodland flora in upland rivers of Western Greece. Mediterranean Marine Science 9:87-103
- Economou AN, Giakoumi S, Vardakas l, Barbieri R, Stoumboudi M, Zogaris S (2007) The freshwater ichthyofauna of Greece – an update based on a hydrographic basin survey. Mediterranean Marine Science 8:91-166
- Ferreira T, Caiola N, Casals F, Economou AN, Fernandez-Delgado C, Granado C, Hervella F, Jalon D, Oliveira J, Pont D, Prenda J, Rogers C, de Sostoa A, Zogaris S (2007). Ecological traits of fish assemblages from Mediterranean Europe and their responses to human disturbance. Fisheries Management and Ecology 14:473-481
- Ferreira T, Oliveira J, Caiola N, de Sostoa A, Casals F, Cortez R, Economou AN, Zogaris S, Garcia-Jalon D, Ilheu M, Martinez Capel F, Pont D, Rogers C, Prenda J (2007). Ecological traits of fish assemblages from Mediterranean Europe and their responses to human disturbance. Fisheries Management and Ecology 14:473- 481
- Alivizatos H, Goutner V, Zogaris S (2005) Contribution to the study of the diet of four owl species (Aves, Strigiformes) from mainland and island areas of Greece. Belgian Journal of Zoology 135:109-118