- BSc in Physics (2005-2010), Department of Physics, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens.
- MSc in Environmental Physics (2010-2012), Department of Physics, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens.
- PhD in Numerical Weather Prediction and Meteorology (2012-2017), Department of Geography, Harokopio University of Athens. Thesis title: “Development of an integrated modeling system for simulating the air-ocean wave interactions”.
Dr. George Varlas is a research associate at the HCMR since 2018. He is a member of the Hellenic Meteorological Society. He received a B.Sc. in Physics and a M.Sc. in Environmental Physics from the Kapodistrian University of Athens, Department of Physics, in 2010 and 2012, respectively. He continued to work in this field and received a Ph.D. in 2017, with a thesis on “Development of an integrated modeling system for simulating the air-ocean wave interactions” from the Harokopio University of Athens, Department of Geography
He has won 3 awards with the most significant the Young Scientist Award 2018 from the European Meteorological Society (EMS) for his journal publication: “Varlas, G., Katsafados, P., Papadopoulos, A., and Korres, G. (2017). Implementation of a two-way coupled atmosphere-ocean wave modeling system for assessing air-sea interaction over the Mediterranean Sea, Atmospheric Research Journal, 208, 201-217”. During the period of his doctoral research he was supported by a 3-year (2013-2016) research fellowship offered by the HCMR.
His doctoral research was dedicated to the simulation and analysis of air-ocean wave interactions and their impact on cyclone formation, leading to the development of the Chemical Hydrological Atmospheric Ocean wave System (CHAOS), an integrated modeling system. CHAOS was employed to analyze the impact of ocean waves on the air-sea momentum-heat-moisture exchange and, subsequently, on processes in the atmospheric boundary layer and the middle-upper troposphere. CHAOS supported the investigation of understudied phenomena such as air-sea spray and rain-wave interactions. CHAOS represents the air-sea-land interactions offering the capability of fully coupled hydrometeorological modeling to simulate water and energy cycles as well as flash floods.
He has participated in 1 European and 7 national/other projects. He has contributed 10 publications in international scientific peer-reviewed journals, 3 chapters in a scientific peer-reviewed book and 12 papers in scientific peer-reviewed conference proceedings. He has also participated in 21 studies presented (oral or poster) in conferences, workshops etc. Moreover, he is co-editor of a special issue in an international scientific journal and reviewer of 2 international scientific journals.
His research interests and experience include: Numerical weather prediction, hydrometeorological modelling, extreme weather phenomena and floods, modelling of water and energy cycles, coupling of numerical models, Mediterranean and tropical cyclones, air-land-sea interaction, ocean-wave modelling, renewable energy, seasonal weather forecasting, regional climate modelling, data assimilation.
- Varlas, G., Anagnostou, M., Spyrou, C., Papadopoulos, A., Kalogiros, J., Mentzafou, A., Michaelides, S., Baltas, E., Karymbalis, E. and Katsafados, P. (2019). A Multi-Platform Hydrometeorological Analysis of the Flash Flood Event of 15 November 2017 in Attica, Greece. Remote Sensing, 11(1), 45 (doi: 10.3390/rs11010045).
- Varlas, G., Papadopoulos, A., and Katsafados, P. (2019). An analysis of the synoptic and dynamical characteristics of hurricane Sandy (2012). Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, 131(3), 443-453 (doi: 10.1007/s00703-017-0577-y).
- Papaioannou, G., Varlas, G., Terti, G., Papadopoulos, A., Loukas, A., Panagopoulos, Y., and Dimitriou, E. (2019). Flood Inundation Mapping at Ungauged Basins Using Coupled Hydrometeorological–Hydraulic Modelling: The Catastrophic Case of the 2006 Flash Flood in Volos City, Greece. Water, 11(11), 2328 (doi: 10.3390/w11112328).
- Mentzafou, A., Varlas, G., Dimitriou, E., Papadopoulos, A., Pytharoulis, I., and Katsafados, P. (2019). Modeling the Effects of Anthropogenic Land Cover Changes to the Main Hydrometeorological Factors in a Regional Watershed, Central Greece. Climate, 7(11), 129 (doi: 10.3390/cli7110129).
- Varlas, G., Katsafados, P., Korres, G. and Papadopoulos, A. (2019). Assessing the impact of Argo floats temperature measurements on the numerical weather prediction forecast skill. Mediterranean Marine Science, 20(2), 331-341 (doi: 10.12681/mms.15423).
- Varlas, G., Katsafados, P., Papadopoulos, A., and Korres, G. (2018). Implementation of a two-way coupled atmosphere-ocean wave modeling system for assessing air-sea interaction over the Mediterranean Sea. Atmospheric Research, 208, 201-217 (doi: 10.1016/j.atmosres.2017.08.019).
- Katsafados, P., Varlas, G., Papadopoulos, A., Spyrou, C., and Korres, G. (2018). Assessing the implicit rain impact on sea state during hurricane Sandy (2012). Geophysical Research Letters, 45, 12015-12022 (doi: 10.1029/2018GL078673).
- Varlas, G., Christakos, K., Cheliotis, I., Papadopoulos, A., and Steeneveld, G.-J. (2017). Spatiotemporal variability of marine renewable energy resources in Norway. Energy Procedia, 125, 180-189 (doi: 10.1016/j.egypro.2017.08.171).
- Katsafados, P., Papadopoulos, A., Korres, G., and Varlas, G. (2016). A fully coupled atmosphere-ocean wave modeling system for the Mediterranean Sea: interactions and sensitivity to the resolved scales and mechanisms. Geoscientific Model Development, 9(1), 161-173 (doi: 10.5194/gmd-9-161-2016).
- Christakos, K., Cheliotis, I., Varlas, G., and Steeneveld, G. J. (2016). Offshore wind energy analysis of cyclone Xaver over North Europe. Energy Procedia, 94, 37-44 (doi: 10.1016/j.egypro.2016.09.187).
- Katsafados, P., Papadopoulos, A., Varlas, G., Papadopoulou, E., and Mavromatidis, E. (2014). Seasonal predictability of the 2010 Russian heat wave. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 14, 1531-1542 (doi: 10.5194/nhess-14-1531-2014).
- Christakos, K., Varlas, G., Reuder, J., Katsafados, P., and Papadopoulos, A.: Analysis of a Low-level Coastal Jet off the Western Coast of Norway. Energy Procedia, 53, 162-172, 2014 (doi: 10.1016/j.egypro.2014.07.225).