- BSc in Biology, School of Biology, Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece (1990-1995)
- MSc in Marine Biology, Biology Department, University of Crete, Greece (1996-1997)
- PhD in Marine Biology, Biology Department, University of Crete, Greece (1998-2003)
She has been working as a research scientist at HCMR since 1998, and has acquired a broad experience as a fisheries biologist. She assumed her duties as a Researcher in HCMR in October 2006. Since November 2016, she is a Research Director at the Institute of Marine Biological Resources and Inland Waters at HCMR.
She has multidisciplinary research interests, focusing on the population dynamics of small pelagic fish, physical/biological interactions in marine ecosystems, fisheries acoustics, spatial analysis techniques, determination of essential fish habitat and habitat suitability modelling, food web modelling as well as stock assessment modelling techniques, marine mammals distribution, marine megafauna stranding events, bottom trawl discards, incidental catch, invasive species. She has attended special training courses in fisheries acoustics and acoustic data analysis, fish stock assessment using FLR, habitat modeling techniques, analyzing biological and environmental field data, sampling design for field data, geostatistical analysis for acoustic surveys, Introduction to Bayesian inference in fisheries science, Food web modeling with E2E.
She is an active member of the Steering Committee of the Mediteranean International Acoustic Survey (MEDIAS) as well as an active member of the stock assessment study groups in the Mediterranean region (i.e. GFCM, STECF, FAO-EastMed) being responsible for the application of stock assessment models for anchovy and sardine stocks in the Greek Seas, providing essential information for management advice and the production of fishery management plans. She has organized/coordinated an International Workshop on the use of geostatistical techniques on acoustic surveys design (ICES WGACUGEO), as well as various workshops within the framework of scientific projects on the application of habitat modeling techniques. Since 2019 she is the Chair of the GFCM Working Group on Stock Assessment of Small Pelagics (WGSASP). She has a high level of expertise on spatial analysis techniques, predominantly geostatistics and generalised additive models. She has done pioneer work within the Mediterranean region in respect to the application of habitat suitability models for small pelagic fish species. She has participated in more than 25 national and international projects while served as the scientific co-ordinator of 3 European Union (EU) projects.
She has contributed to 57 papers in peer-reviewed journals, 3 book chapters, as well as more than 100 publications in conference proceedings, special publications, newspaper and magazines. She has co-authored more than 20 technical project reports.
- Giannoulaki, M., Zwolinski, J., CemalGucu, A., De Felice, A., &Somarakis, S. (2021). The “MEDiterranean International Acoustic Survey”: An introduction. Mediterranean Marine Science, 22(4), 747-750.
- Hattab, T., Gucu, A., Ventero, A., De Felice, A., Machias, A., Saroux, C., Gasparevic, D., Basilone, G., Constantini, I., Leonori, I., Bourdeix, J., Iglesias, M., Barra, M., Giannoulaki, M., Ferreri, R., El Ayoubi, S., Gasparevice, D., Malavoti, S., Genovese, S., Somarakis, S., Juretic, T., Ticina, V., & Certain, G. (2021). Temperature strongly correlates with regional patterns of body size variation in Mediterranean small pelagic fish species. Mediterranean Marine Science, 22(4), 800-811.
- Leonori, I., Ticina, V., Giannoulaki, M., Hattab, T., Iglesias, M., Bonanno, A., Constantini, I., Canduci, G., Machias, A., Ventero, A., Somarakis, S., Tsagarakis, K., Bogner, D., Barra, M., Basilone, G., Genovese, S., Juretic, T., Gasparevic, D., & De Felice, A. (2021). History of hydroacoustic surveys of small pelagic fish species in the European Mediterranean Sea. Mediterranean Marine Science, 22(4), 751-768.
- Papantoniou, G., Giannoulaki, M., Stoumboudi, M.T., Lefkaditou, E., Tsagarakis, K. (2021). Food web interactions in a human dominated Mediterranean coastal ecosystem. Marine Environmental Research, 172, art. no. 105507,.
- Despoti, S., Stergiou, K.I., Machias, A., Vassilopoulou, V., Tsagarakis, K., Valavanis, V., Adamidou, A., Giannoulaki, M. (2021). Assessing the spatial distribution of five non-commercial fish species in the Aegean Sea (Greece, eastern Mediterranean Sea) based on discards data. Regional Studies in Marine Science, 44, art. no. 101736, .
- Tsagarakis, K., Panigada, S., Machias, A., Giannoulaki, M., Foutsi, A., Pierantonio, N., Paximadis, G. (2021). Trophic interactions in the “small pelagic fish – dolphins – fisheries” triangle: Outputs of a modelling approach in the North Aegean Sea (Eastern Mediterranean, Greece). Ocean and Coastal Management, 204, art. no. 105474,
- Despoti, S., Milisenda, G., Ligas, A., Bentes, L., Maynou, F., Vitale, S., Garofalo, G., Sbrana, M., Erzini, K., Tserpes, G., Tsagarakis, K., Maina, I., Pyrounaki, M.-M., Papadopoulou, N., Machias, A., Colloca, F., Fiorentino, F., Stergiou, K.I., Giannoulaki, M. (2020). Marine spatial closures as a supplementary tool to reduce discards in bottom trawl fisheries: Examples from southern European waters. Fisheries Research, 232, art. no. 105714,
- Gkanasos, A., Somarakis, S., Tsiaras, K., Kleftogiannis, D., Giannoulaki, M., Schismenou, E., Sofianos, S., Triantafyllou, G. 2019. Development, application and evaluation of a 1-D full life cycle anchovy and sardine model for the North Aegean Sea (Eastern Mediterranean). PLoS ONE, 14 (8), art. no. e0219671.
- Tsoukali, S., Giannoulaki, M., Siapatis, A., Schismenou, E., Somarakis, A.S. (2019). Using spatial indicators to investigate fish spawning strategies from ichthyoplankton surveys: A case study on co-occurring pelagic species from the North-East Aegean Sea. Mediterranean Marine Science, 20 (1), pp. 106-119.
- Maina, I., Kavadas, S., Machias, A., Tsagarakis, K., Giannoulaki, M. (2018). Modelling the spatiotemporal distribution of fisheries discards: A case study on eastern Ionian Sea trawl fishery.Journal of Sea Research, 139, pp. 10-23.
- Maeda, E.E., Mäntyniemi, S., Despoti, S., Musumeci, C., Vassilopoulou, V., Stergiou, K.I., Giannoulaki, M., Ligas, A., Kuikka, S. (2017). Bayesian model of fisheries discards with flexible structure and priors defined by experts. Ecological Modelling, 366, pp. 1-14.
- Giannoulaki, M., Pyrounaki, M.M., Bourdeix, J.-H., et al., (2017). Habitat suitability modeling to identify the potential nursery grounds of the Atlantic mackerel and its relation to oceanographic conditions in the Mediterranean Sea. Frontiers in Marine Science, 4 (JUL), art. no. 230.
- Giannoulaki, M., Markoglou, E., Valavanis, V. D., Alexiadou, P., Cucknell, A., and Frantzis, A. (2016). Linking small pelagic fish and cetacean distribution to model suitable habitat for coastal dolphin species, Delphinusdelphis and Tursiopstruncatus, in the Greek Seas (Eastern Mediterranean). Aquatic Conserv: Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst.,doi: 10.1002/aqc.2669.
- Stergiou, K.I., Somarakis, S., Triantafyllou, G., Tsiaras, K.P., Giannoulaki, M., Petihakis, G., Machias, A., Tsikliras, A.C. (2016). Trends in productivity and biomass yields in the Mediterranean Sea Large Marine Ecosystem during climate change. Environmental Development, 17, pp. 57-74.
- Martin, C.S., Giannoulaki, M., De Leo, F., Scardi, et al. (2014). Coralligenous and maërl habitats: Predictive modelling to identify their spatial distributions across the Mediterranean Sea. Scientific Reports, 4, art. no. 5073
- Giannoulaki, M., Ibaibarriaga, L., Antonakakis, K., Uriarte, A., Machias, A., Somarakis, S., Sanchez, S., Roel, B.A. (2014). Applying a two-stage Bayesian dynamic model to a short-lived species, the anchovy, in the Aegean Sea (Eastern Mediterranean). Comparison with an integrated catch at age stock assessment model. Mediterranean Marine Science, 15 (2), pp. 350-365.
- Colloca, F., Cardinale, M., Maynou, F., Giannoulaki, M., Scarcella, G., Jenko, K., Bellido, J.M., Fiorentino F. (2013). Rebuilding Mediterranean fisheries: toward a new paradigm for ecological sustainability in single species population models. Fish and Fisheries. Vol. 14, p. 89–109
- Giannoulaki, M, M. Iglesias, M. P. Tugores, A. Bonanno, et al., (2013). Characterising the potential habitat of European anchovy Engraulisencrasicolus in the Mediterranean Sea, at different life stages. Fisheries Oceanography, 22:2, 69–89