Fisheries Information System for the Mediterranean & Black Sea
Under the umbrella of the MARE/2020/08 “Strengthening regional cooperation in the field of data collection”, the construction of a Regional Database (RDB) for the Mediterranean and Black Seas was funded (https://ec.europa.eu/fisheries/press/call–proposals–mare202008–strengthening–regional–cooperation–area–fisheries–data–collection_en).
A web–based integrated fisheries information system will be developed with the aim to:
(i) enable reliable scientific advices and support the work of the RCGs,
(ii) facilitate the work of the EU Member States,
(iii) allow end users to calculate statistical estimates of data tailored to their needs and help to streamline and ease the reporting of Member States on the EU data collection.
The corresponding Regional Coordination Groups(RCGs), the Commission, the Member States and the end–users (STECF, GFCM, ICCAT) will cooperate on the creation of the Med&BS RDBFIS. The role of the existing Member States’ dedicated Steering Committee on the RDB will be crucial.
The RDB will cover the fisheries of the defined region(s) and will be focused on addressing the fishery management needs related to the European Union Common Fisheries Policy.
It is considered as an important tool to enable regional overviews of fishing activities, to optimize data collection and facilitate task/cost–sharing and sampling at the regional level.
– Hellenic Centre for Marine Research (HCMR,coordinator)
– COISPA Tecnologia & Ricerca (COISPA)
– Consorzio per il Centro Interuniversitario di Biologia Marina ed Ecologia Applicata “Guido Bacci” (CIBM)
– Istituto per il Rilevamento Elettromagnetico dell’Ambiente (CNR–IREA)
– Institut français de recherche pour l’exploitation de la mer (Ifremer)
– Nisea società cooperative (NISEA)
For more information visit the project’s website