- B.Sc. in Physics, School of Physics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (1985-1990)
- M.Sc. in Environmental Physics and Meteorology, Department of Physics, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (1990-1993)
- Ph.D. in Atmospheric Physics and Dynamic Meteorology, Department of Physics, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (1996-2001)
Dr. Anastasios Papadopoulos is Physicist-Meteorologist and a Research Director at the Hellenic Centre for Marine Research (HCMR), in the Institute of Marine Biological Resources and Inland Waters. He received his B.Sc in Physics from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, in 1990, and his M.Sc in Meteorology and Ph.D in Dynamic Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics from the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece, in 1993 and 2001, respectively.
His research interests and experience include: regional-mesoscale numerical weather prediction; operational meteorology; water and energy cycle; data assimilation techniques; air-land-sea interaction; extreme weather events; soil erosion and mechanisms of production, transport and deposition of dust substance; atmospheric stability and dispersion.
He has participated (as coordinator, principal investigator or researcher) in more than 65 research projects. He was the coordinator of the Marie Curie Excellence Grant (Advancing the predictability of water cycle through an improved understanding of land surface and coastal water processes and optimal integration of models with observational data) at HCMR. He is member of the scientific team of the POSEIDON operational system and the scientific responsible for the numerical weather predictions.
He is author or co-author of more than 50 articles in peer-reviewed scientific journals, 70 peer-reviewed conferences papers and more than 160 other publications in the fields of dynamic meteorology and atmospheric physics.
He has been a member of the advisor committees of 6 Ph.D., 7 M.Sc. and 3 graduate students.
For more information and citations see Scopus Papadopoulos
- Varlas, G., M. Anagnostou, C. Spyrou, Papadopoulos, J. Kalogiros, A. Mentzafou, S. Michaelides, E. Baltas, E. Karymbalis, and P. Katsafados, 2019: “A Multi-Platform Hydrometeorological Analysis of the Flash Flood Event of 15 November 2017 in Attica, Greece”. Remote Sensing, 2019, 11(1), 45, https://doi.org/10.3390/rs11010045.
- Varlas, G., Papadopoulos, and P. Katsafados, 2018: “An analysis of the synoptic and dynamical characteristics of hurricane Sandy (2012)”. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00703-017-0577-y.
- Varlas, G., P. Katsafados, G, Korres, and A. Papadopoulos, 2019: “Assessing the impact of Argo floats temperature measurements on the numerical weather prediction forecast skill”. Mediterranean Marine Science, 20(2), 331-341, http://dx.doi.org/10.12681/mms.15423.
- Varlas, G., P. Katsafados, Papadopoulos, and G. Korres, 2018: “Implementation of a two-way coupled atmosphere-ocean wave modeling system for assessing air-sea interaction over the Mediterranean Sea”. Atmospheric Research, 208, 201-217, doi: 10.1016/j.atmosres. 2017.08.019.
- Tsarpalis, K., Papadopoulos, N. Mihalopoulos, C. Spyrou, S. Michaelides, and P. Katsafados, 2018: “The implementation of a mineral dust wet deposition scheme in the GOCART-AFWA module of the WRF model”. Remote Sensing, 10(10), 1595, https://doi.org/10.3390/rs10101595.
- Katsafados, P., G. Varlas, Papadopoulos, C. Spyrou, and G. Korres, 2018: “Assessing the implicit rain impact on sea state during hurricane Sandy (2012)”. Geophysical Research Letters, 45, https://doi.org/10.1029/2018GL078673.
- Karageorgis, A.P., H. Kontoyiannis, S. Stavrakakis, E. Krasakopoulou, A. Gogou, Papadopoulos, Th.D. Kanellopoulos, G. Rousakis, E. Malinverno, M.V. Triantaphyllou, and V. Lykousis, 2018: “Particle dynamics and fluxes in canyons and open slopes of the southern Cretan margin (Eastern Mediterranean)”. Progress in Oceanography, 169, 33-47, doi: 10.1016/j.pocean.2017.12.009.
- Varlas, G., K. Christakos, I. Cheliotis, Papadopoulos, and G-J, Steeneveld, 2017: “Spatiotemporal variability of marine renewable energy resources in Norway”. Energy Procedia, 125, 180 – 189, doi: 10.1016/j.egypro. 2017.08.171.
- Soukissian, T., Papadopoulos, P. Skrimizeas, F. Karathanasi, P. Axaopoulos, E. Avgoustoglou, H. Kyriakidou, C. Tsalis, A. Voudouri, F. Gofa, and P. Katsafados, 2017: “Assessment of offshore wind power potential in the Aegean and Ionian Seas based on high-resolution hindcast model results”. AIMS Energy, 5(2), 268-289, doi: 10.3934/energy.2017.2.268.
- Soukissian, Τ., S. Reizopoulou, P. Drakopoulou, P. Axaopoulos, F. Karathanasi, S. Fraschetti, L. Bray, F. Foglini, Papadopoulos, F. De Leo, C. Kyriakidou, E. Voukouvalas, E. Papathanassiou, and F. Boero, 2016: “Greening offshore wind with the Smart Wind Chart evaluation tool”. Web Ecology, 16, 73-80, doi:10.5194/we-16-73-2016.
- Katsafados, P., Papadopoulos, G. Korres, and G. Varlas, 2016: “A fully coupled atmosphere-ocean wave modeling system for the Mediterranean Sea: interactions and sensitivity to the resolved scales and mechanisms”. Geoscientific Model Development, 9, 161-173, doi:10.5194/gmd-9-161-2016.
- Boero, F., F. Foglini, S. Fraschetti, P. Goriup, E. Macpherson, S. Planes, T. Soukissian, and The CoCoNet Consortium, 2016: “CoCoNet: towards coast to coast networks of marine protected areas (from the shore to the high and deep sea), coupled with sea-based wind energy potential. SCIentific RESearch and Information Technology, 6, Supplement (2016), I-II, e-ISSN 2239-4303, doi: 10.2423/i22394303v6Spl.
- Soukissian, T.H. and Papadopoulos, 2015: “Effects of different wind data sources in offshore wind power assessment”. Renewable Energy, 77, 101-114, doi:10.1016/j.renene.2014.12.009.
- Nystuen, J.A., M.N. Anagnostou, E.N. Anagnostou, and Papadopoulos, 2015: “Monitoring Greek seas using passive underwater acoustics”. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 32, 334-349, doi: 10.1175/JTECH-D-13-00264.1.
- Papadonikolaki, G.S, Y.C. Altan, A.I. Stamou, E.N. Otay, G.C.Christodoulou, N.K. Copty, V.K. Tsoukala, F.Telli-Karakoc, and Papadopoulos, 2014: “Risk assessment of oil spill accidents”. Global NEST Journal, 16(4), 743-752.
- Katsafados, P., Papadopoulos, G. Varlas, E. Papadopoulou, and E. Mavromatidis, 2014: “Seasonal predictability of the 2010 Russian heat wave”. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 14, 1531-1542, doi:10.5194/nhess-14-1531-2014.
- Christakos, Κ., G. Varlas, J. Reuder, P. Katsafados and Papadopoulos, 2014: “Analysis of a Low-level Coastal Jet off the Western Coast of Norway”. Energy Procedia, 53, 162 – 172, doi: 10.1016/j.egypro.2014.07.225.
- Zampieri, M., E. Serpetzoglou, E.N. Anagnostou, E.I. Nikolopoulos, and Papadopoulos, 2012: “Improving the Representation of River-Groundwater Interactions in Land Surface Modeling at the Regional Scale: Observational Evidence and Parameterization Applied in the Community Land Model”. Journal of Hydrology, 420-421, 72-86, doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2011.11.041.
- Velea, L, Th. Chronis, E.N. Anagnostou, and Papadopoulos, 2012: “Comparative analysis of humidity characteristics for open-sea and coastal areas in the Mediterranean”. Atmospheric Research, 113, 126-139, doi: 10.1016/j.atmosres.2012.05.004.
- Katsafados, P, S. Kalogirou, Papadopoulos, and G. Korres, 2012: “Mapping long-term atmospheric variables over Greece”. Journal of Maps, 8, Issue 2, 181-184, doi: 10.1080/17445647.2012.694273.
- Tsabaris, C, M.N. Anagnostou, D.L. Patiris, J.A. Nystuen, G. Eleftheriou, Th. Dakladas, V. Papadopoulos, A. Prospathopoulos, Papadopoulos, and E.N. Anagnostou, 2011: “A marine groundwater spring in Stoupa, Greece: Shallow water instrumentation comparing radon and ambient sound with discharge rate”. Procedia Earth and Planetary Science, 4, 3-9.