Dr. Zogaris works at HCMR since April 2002. He is a researcher and educator; an expert in biodiversity conservation and applied ecology in river basin areas. He has taught in various Study Abroad programs and summer schools and at the MSc level at Inter-University Programmes at the University of Ioannina and at the National Technical University of Athens. During 1997-2000, he was research contractor to the Zoological Museum of the National University of Athens.
Dr. Zogaris has broad interests in natural history with experience in many Temperate, Mediterranean and Tropical inland, coastal and marine ecosystems. He is particularly well versed in fish, bird, and habitat studies and associated research techniques.
His research interests include:
- Fish ecology and taxonomy and inland waters biogeography
- Faunal and habitat survey and monitoring methodology; particularly bioassessment and indices using fishes, birds, and riparian vegetation
- River, wetland, riparian habitat and coastal zone assessments
- Ecological restoration in aquatic and riparian areas (applications in temporary rivers, environmental flow regulation, urban wetlands, coastal zone management, and within hydro-electric dams and reservoirs)
- Alien and translocated fish species ecology and their ecosystem impacts
- Protected Area creation, management, assessment, promotion and sustainability
- Natural history interpretation, conservation education, ecotourism, public awareness.
- Tropical coastal zone and coral reef ecosystems
- Mediterranean and tropical areas landscape-scale conservation
Dr. Zogaris has worked in collaboration with many research organizations at the international level in more than 20 countries (including Portugal, Austria, Spain, Montenegro, Poland, Bulgaria, Turkey, Cyprus, UK, USA, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Albania, Kosovo, Costa Rica and Canada). He has participated in more than 30 national and international projects at HCMR. He was a member of the EU intercallibration process for the Water Framework Directive (representing Greece for river fishes) and led the drafting of the WFD intercallibration report on river fishes for the Republic of Cyprus.
He has participated in the Steering Committees of several high-level initiatives including Greece’s master plan for protected areas (2000), endangered bird species conservation action plans, the Cyprus Biodiversity Strategy (2012), IUCN Key Biodiversity Areas, IUCN threatened species red listing, national red data book, the Euboea Protected Area Management Agency (from 2017), and electrofishing sampling technical method training. He has designed and led many educational field trips for several conferences (e.g. IAVS Crete) and other educational and ecotourism initiatives (CYA Study Abroad Program, sampling methods training, etc.).
Dr. Zogaris has contributed more than 90 scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals, 16 book chapters, 8 books (as co-author and editor), as well as more than 180 other publications (i.e., conference proceedings, magazine articles, published technical reports). He has a deep love for photography and film and associated knowledge products. He has helped develop 11 natural history exhibits and 7 documentary films and has designed environmental interpretation and visitor management schemes in many protected areas.
He is curator of Athens Nature Journal his personal blog, and has worked for many years to disseminate and popularize conservation science initiatives, and citizen science in Greece and abroad.
- Koutsikos, N., Vardakas, L., Vavalidis, T., Kalogianni, E., Dimitriou, E., Kalantzi, O.-I., & Zogaris, S. (2021). Defining non-indigenous fish assemblage types in Mediterranean rivers: Network analysis and management implications. Journal of Environmental Management, 278. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2020.111551
- Vavalidis, T., Zogaris, S., Kallimanis, A.S., Economou, A.N. and Bobori, D.C., (2021). Assessing Natura 2000 coverage of river fish species in Greece: What do field surveys show? Journal for Nature Conservation, 64, p.126054 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnc.2021.126054
- Wagner, M., Zogaris, S., Berrebi, P., Freyhof, J., Koblmüller, S., Magnan, P. & Laporte, M., (2021). Diversity and biogeography of Mediterranean freshwater blennies (Blenniidae, Salaria). Diversity and Distributions, 27(9), 1832-1847. https://doi.org/10.1111/ddi.13372
- Zogaris, S., Tachos, V., Economou, A.N., Chatzinikolaou, Y., Koutsikos, N. and Schmutz, S., (2018). A model-based fish bioassessment index for Eastern Mediterranean rivers: Application in a biogeographically diverse area. Science of The Total Environment, 622, pp.676-689. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.11.293
- Barbieri, R., Vukić, J., Šanda, R., Kapakos, Y. & Zogaris, S., (2017). Alburnoides economoui, a new species of spirlin from Central Greece and redescription of Alburnoides thessalicus (Actinopterygii: Cyprinidae). Biologia, 72(9), pp.1075-1088. https://doi.org/10.1515/biolog-2017-0113
- Lopes-Lima, M. et al. Zogaris, S. (2017). Conservation Status of Freshwater Mussels in Europe: State of the Art and Future Challenges. Biological Reviews, 92(1): 572-607. DOI: 10.1111/brv.12244.
- Zogaris, S. & Kallimanis, A. (2016). Coastal zone habitat-use by birds in Qatar: Insights from a rapid assessment method during spring migration. Tropical Conservation Science, 9 (2): 658-676 https://doi.org/10.1177/194008291600900207
- Vanhove, M.P.M., Kovačić, M. & Zogaris, S. (2016). A distinct island population of threatened freshwater fish: to split or lump? Hydrobiologia, 777:79–93 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10750-016-2765-z
- Zogaris, S., Maclaine, J., Koutsikos, N., & Chatzinikolaou, Y. (2014). Does the River Blenny Salaria fluviatilis (Asso, 1801) still survive on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus? Journal of Natural History, 49 (5-8), 347-357. https://doi.org/10.1080/00222933.2013.836761
- Vanhove M, Economou A, Zogaris S, Giakoumi S, Zanella D, Volckaert F, Huyse T (2013) The Gyrodactylus (Monogenea, Gyrodactylidae) parasite fauna of freshwater sand gobies (Teleostei, Gobioidei) in their centre of endemism, with description of seven new species. Parasitology Research (in press)
- Zogaris S, Maclaine J, Koutsikos N, Chatzinikolaou Y (2013) Does the River Blenny Salaria fluviatilis (Asso, 1801) still survive on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus? Journal of Natural History (in press)
- Dimitriou E, Mentzafou A, Zogaris S, Tzortziou M, Gritzalis K, Karaouzas I, Nikolaidis Ch (2012) Assessing the environmental status and identifying the dominant pressures of a trans-boundary river catchment, to facilitate efficient management and mitigation practices. Environmental Earth Sciences 66:1839-1852
- Koutsikos N, Zogaris S, Vardakas L, Tachos V, Kalogianni E, Šanda R, Chatzinikolaou Y, Giakoumi S, Economidis PS, Economou AN (2012) Recent contributions to the distribution of the freshwater ichthyofauna in Greece. Mediterranean Marine Science 13:268-277
- Vanhove MPM, Economou AN, Zogaris S, Larmuseau MHD, Giakoumi S, Kalogianni E, Volckaert FAM, Huyse T (2012) Phylogenetics and biogeography of the Balkan ‘sand gobies’ (Teleostei: Gobiidae): vulnerable species in need of taxonomic revision. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 105:73-91
- Zogaris S, Chatzinikolaou Y, Koutsikos NE, Economou AN, Oikonomou E, Michaelides G, Hadjisterikotis E, Beaumont WRC, Ferreira MT (2012) Freshwater fish assemblages in Cyprus with emphasis on the effects of dams. Acta Ichthyologica et Piscatoria 42:165-175
- Zogaris S, Chatzinikolaou YG, Koutsikos N, Oikomou , Michaelidis E, Hadjisterikotis E, Beaumont WRC, Economou AN, Ferreira MT (2012) Observations on inland fish assemblages and the influence of dams in Cyprus. Acta Ichthyologica et Piscatoria 42:165-175
- Chatzinikolaou Y, Ntemiri K, Zogaris S (2011) River riparian zone assessment using a rapid site-based index in Greece. Fresenius Environmental Bulletin 20:296-302
- Skoulikidis N, Vardakas L, Karaouzas I, Economou A, Dimitriou E, Zogaris S (2011) Assessing water stress in Mediterranean lotic systems: insights from an artificially intermittent river in Greece. Aquatic Sciences Special Issue: Recent Perspectives on Temporary River Ecology 73:581-597
- Vanhove MPM, Kovacic M, Koutsikos NE, Zogaris S, Vardakas LE, Huyse T, Economou AN (2011) First record of a landlocked population of marine Millerigobius macrocephalus (Perciformes: Gobiidae): observations from a unique spring-fed karstic lake (Lake Vouliagmeni, Greece) and phylogenetic positioning. Zoologischer Anzeiger 250:195-204
- Zogaris S, Apostolou A (2011) First record of the Pontian Monkey Goby Neogobius fluviatilis (Pallas, 1814) in the Evros River (Greece); Is it an alien species? Mediterranean Marine Science 12:454-461
- Bergmeier E, Dimopoulos P, Zogaris S(2010) Retama retam (Forssk.)Web. In Greuter, W. & Raus, T.(eds). Med-Checklist Notulae 29. Willdenowia 40:197
- Kalogianni E, Giakoumi S, Zogaris S, Chatzinikolaou Y, Zimmerman B, Economou AN (2010) Current distribution and ecology of the critically endangered Valencia letourneuxi in Greece. Biologia 65:128-139
- Zogaris S, Dussling U (2010) On the occurance of Pteromylaeus bovinus (Geoffroy St-Hilaire, 1817) in the Amvrakikos Gulf. Mediterranean Marine Science 11:177-184
- Zenetos A, Pancucci-Papadopoulou MA, Zogaris S, Papastergiadou E,Vardakas L, Aligizaki K, Economou AN (2009) Aquatic alien species in Greece: tracking sources, patterns and effects on the ecosystem. Journal of Biological Research-Thessaloniki 12:135-172
- Zogaris S, Chatzinikolaou Y, Dimopoulos P (2009) Assessing environmental degradation of montane riparian zones in Greece. Journal of Environmental Biology 30:719-726
- Zogaris S, Economou AN, Dimopoulos P (2009) Ecoregions in the southern Balkans: should their boundaries be revised? Environmental Management 43:682-697
- Zogaris S, Chatzinikolaou Y, Dimopoulos P (2008) Riparian woodland flora in upland rivers of Western Greece. Mediterranean Marine Science 9:87-103
- Economou AN, Giakoumi S, Vardakas l, Barbieri R, Stoumboudi M, Zogaris S (2007) The freshwater ichthyofauna of Greece – an update based on a hydrographic basin survey. Mediterranean Marine Science 8:91-166
- Ferreira T, Caiola N, Casals F, Economou AN, Fernandez-Delgado C, Granado C, Hervella F, Jalon D, Oliveira J, Pont D, Prenda J, Rogers C, de Sostoa A, Zogaris S (2007). Ecological traits of fish assemblages from Mediterranean Europe and their responses to human disturbance. Fisheries Management and Ecology 14:473-481
- Ferreira T, Oliveira J, Caiola N, de Sostoa A, Casals F, Cortez R, Economou AN, Zogaris S, Garcia-Jalon D, Ilheu M, Martinez Capel F, Pont D, Rogers C, Prenda J (2007). Ecological traits of fish assemblages from Mediterranean Europe and their responses to human disturbance. Fisheries Management and Ecology 14:473- 481
- Alivizatos H, Goutner V, Zogaris S (2005) Contribution to the study of the diet of four owl species (Aves, Strigiformes) from mainland and island areas of Greece. Belgian Journal of Zoology 135:109-118