- BSc in Biology, University of Patras, Greece (1976-1981)
- MSc in Marine Biology, University of Wales, UK (1982-1983)
- PhD in Applied Biology, Department of Biology, University of Crete, Greece (1991-1996)
Dr. George Tserpes holds a position of Research Director in the Hellenic Centre for Marine Research (HCMR). He holds a BSc degree in Biology from the University of Patras, Greece (1981), an MSc degree in Marine Biology from the University of Wales, UK (1983) and a Ph.D degree in Applied Biology from the University of Crete, Greece (1996). His main research interests refer to the Biology, Ecology and Dynamics of fish populations. He has coordinated/participated in more than 60 National and International projects and has authored/coauthored more than 180 scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals, book chapters and conference proceedings. He has participated in several International Scientific Groups including the Scientific, Technical and Economic committee for Fisheries (STECF) of EU and various STECF Sub-committees. Currently, he is the international coordinator of the Mediterranean International Trawl Survey (MEDITS) and since 2003 he coordinates the Mediterranean Swordfish Working Group of the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas (ICCAT). Since 2019 is also coordinating the Working Group on Stock Assessment of Demersal Species (WGSAD) of the General Fisheries Commission for the Mediterranean (GFCM). He teaches in the post-graduate program “Environmental Biology” of the Biology department of the University of Crete and has co-supervised 20 MSc and PhD theses. Below is provided a selected list of recent publications, while further information is available in: https://scholar.google.gr/citations?user=FULoDHsAAAAJ&hl=en
- Damalas D, Sgardeli V, Vasilakopoulos P, Tserpes G, Maravelias C (2021) Evidence of climate-driven regime shifts in the Aegean Sea’s demersal resources: a study spanning six decades. Ecology and Evolution, in press, https://doi.org/10.22541/au.162997709.91302649/v1.
- Despoti S, Milisenda G, Ligas A, Bentes L, Maynou F, Vitale S, Garofalo G, Sbrana M, Erzini K, Tserpes G, Tsagarakis K, Maina I, Pyrounaki M-M, Papadopoulou N, Machias A, Colloca F, Fiorentino F, Stergiou KI, Giannoulaki M (2020) Marine spatial closures as a supplementary tool to reduce discards in bottom trawl fisheries: Examples from southern European waters Fisheries Research, 232, art. no. 105714.
- Christou M, Sgardeli V, Tsikliras AC, Tserpes G, Stergiou KI (2020) A probabilistic model that determines the social ecological system (SES) attributes that lead to successful discard management. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries, 30(1): 109-119.
- Peristeraki P, Tserpes G, Kavadas S, Kallianiotis A, Stergiou KI (2020) The effect of bottom trawl fishery on biomass variations of demersal chondrichthyes in the eastern Mediterranean. Fisheries Research, 221, art. no. 105367.
- Kiparissis S, Tsaparis D, Peristeraki P, Giannakaki A, Kosoglou G, Metaxakis M, Tserpes G (2020). The yellowstripe barracuda sphyraena chrysotaenia (Kluzinger, 1884) in Crete (gsa 23, eastern mediterranean): First genetically verified records and highlighted issues on the lessepsian barracudas nomenclature ambiguities. BioInvasions Records, 9(4): 814-826.
- Tserpes G, Mantopoulou-Palouka D (2020) Assessment of the Mediterranean swordfish stock by means of extended survivor analysis (XSA). ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers, 77: 407-481.
- Winker H, Kimoto A, Mourato BL, Tserpes G, Ortiz M (2020) Development of Bayesian state-space surplus production model JABBA for assessing the Mediterranean swordfish (Xiphias gladius) stock. ICCAT Collective Volume of Scientific Papers, 77: 508-536.
- Spedicato MT, Massutí E, Mérigot B, Tserpes G, Jadaud A, Relini G (2019) The medits trawl survey specifications in an ecosystem approach to fishery management. Scientia Marina, 83(S1): 9-20.
- Tserpes G, Massutí E, Fiorentino F, Facchini MT, Viva C, Jadaud A, Joksimovic A, Pesci P, Piccinetti C, Sion L, Thasitis I, Vrgoc N (2019) Distribution and spatio-temporal biomass trends of red mullets across the Mediterranean. Scientia Marina, 83(S1): 43-55.
- Peristeraki P, Bitetto I, Carbonara P, Carlucci R, Certain G, De Carlo F, Gristina M, Kamidis N, Pesci P, Stagioni M, Valls M, Tserpes G (2019). Investigation of spatiotemporal patterns in mean temperature and mean trophic level of MEDITS survey catches in the Mediterranean sea. Scientia Marina, 83(S1): 165-174.
- Christou Μ, Maynou F, Tserpes G, Stergiou KI, Maravelias CD (2019) “Crash landing” obligation for Mediterranean mixed fisheries: Evaluation of management strategies using bioeconomic modelling in the Aegean Sea. Scientia Marina, 83 (2), 143-154.
- Sgardeli V, Tserpes G, Maravelias CD (2019) Optimizing effort allocation in data poor mixed fisheries. ICES Journal of Marine Science, https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsz044
- Peristeraki P, TserpesG , Lampadariou N, Stergiou KI (2017) Comparing demersal megafaunal species diversity along the depth gradient within the South Aegean and Cretan Seas (Eastern Mediterranean) – PloS one, 12(9) e0184241.
- Rindorf A, Mumford J, Baranowski P, Clausen L, García D, Hintzen N T, Kempf A, Leach A, Levontin P, Mace P, Mackinson S,Maravelias C , Prellezo R, Quetglas A, Tserpes G, Voss R, Reid D (2017) Moving beyond the MSY concept to reflect multidimensional fisheries management objectives, Marine Policy, 85: 33-41.
- Garcia A, Tserpes G, Santos MN (2017) Validation of annulus formation and growth estimation of South Atlantic swordfish. J. Mar. Bio. Asoc. UK, 97:1511-1518.
- Tserpes G, Nikolioudakis N, Maravelias C, Carvalho N, Merino G (2016) Viability and Management Targets of Mediterranean Demersal Fisheries: The Case of the Aegean Sea. Plos One, http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0168694.
- Druon JN, Fromentin JM, Hanke AR, Arrizabalaga H, Damalas D, Tičina V, Quílez-Badia G, Ramirez K, Arregui I, Tserpes G, et al. (2016) Habitat suitability of the Atlantic bluefin tuna by size class: An ecological niche approach. Progress in Oceanography 142: 30-46.