- B.Sc. in Geology, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece (2002)
- M.Sc. in Water Resources Science and Technology, National Technical University of Athens, Greece (2004)
- Ph.D. in Hydrogeology and Isotope Hydrology, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece (2010)
- M.Sc. in Waste Management, Hellenic Open University, Greece (2012)
He is a Geologist and he obtained his PhD on the use of stable and radioactive isotopes (i.e., 18Ο, 2Η, 3H of H2O and 222Rn) in hydrogeology from the Geology Department of the University of Athens (Greece) in 2010.
From 2006 to 2014, he was a research associate at the University of Athens in EU‐funded and national (Greek) research projects, and in 2013 he did his post-doc on nitrate isotopes (15N, 18O of NO3) in the water cycle by visiting the University of Ghent (Belgium).
He worked as an Isotope Hydrologist at the International Atomic Energy agency (IAEA) for seven years (2014-2021) by providing technical and scientific support in projects in >20 UN Member States, including Croatia, Malta, Laos, Mauritius, Sierra Leone and Namibia, aiming at the application of isotope and other related (e.g. hydro(geo)chemistry) techniques in hydro(geo)logical problems(e.g., seawater intrusion, origin and dating of groundwater, nitrogen pollution and biogeochemical processes, surface water-groundwater interactions, climate change impact).
He was project leader in two 4-years international IAEA Coordinated Research Projects focusing on the application of nitrate isotopes to trace nitrogen pollution and eutrophication in rivers and lakes and the origin of nitrogen in precipitation.
He was involved in the implementation of activities related to the IAEA Global Network of Isotopes in Rivers (GNIR), which focuses on the monitoring of stable isotopes in rivers worldwide.
He has lecturing experience on isotope hydrology, hydrogeology, water pollution and management of water resourcesunder European M.Sc. programs and IAEA training courses.
He has authored or co-authored >20 papers in international peer-reviewed scientific journals (incl. 3 articles in Nature group journals) and many contributions (talks and posters) at international conferences with>470citations.
He received an IAEA Staff Award for Excellence in 2020.
- Matiatos, I., Wassenaar, L.I., Monteiro, L.R., Terzer-Wassmuth, S. and Douence, C., 2022. Isotopic composition (δ15N, δ18O) of nitrate in high-frequency precipitation events differentiate atmospheric processes and anthropogenic NOx emissions. Atmospheric Research, 267, p.105971.
- Vystavna, Y., Harjung, A., Monteiro, L.R. Matiatos, I., Wassenaar, I., 2021. Stable isotopes in global lakes integrate catchment and climatic controls on evaporation. Nature Communications 12, 7224.
- Monteiro, L.R., Terzer-Wassmuth, S., Matiatos, I., Douence, C. and Wassenaar, L.I., 2021. Distinguishing in-cloud and below-cloud short and distal N-sources from high-temporal resolution seasonal nitrate and ammonium deposition in Vienna, Austria. Atmospheric Environment, p.118740.
- Blarasin, M., Matiatos, I., Cabrera, A., Lutri, V., Giacobone, D., Quinodoz, F.B., Matteoda, E., Eric, C., Felizzia, J. and Albo, J.G., 2021. Characterization of groundwater dynamics and contamination in an unconfined aquifer using isotope techniques to evaluate domestic supply in an urban area. Journal of South American Earth Sciences, 110, p.103360.
- Vystavna, Y., Matiatos, I. and Wassenaar, L.I., 2021. Temperature and precipitation effects on the isotopic composition of global precipitation reveal long-term climate dynamics. Scientific Reports, 11(1), pp.1-9.
- Villalobos-Forbes, M., Esquivel-Hernández, G., Sánchez-Murillo, R., Sánchez-Gutiérrez, R. and Matiatos, I., 2021. Stable isotopic characterization of nitrate wet deposition in the tropical urban atmosphere of Costa Rica. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, pp.1-16.
- Re, V., Kammoun, S., Sacchi, E., Trabelsi, R., Zouari, K., Matiatos, I., Allais, E. and Daniele, S., 2021. A critical assessment of widely used techniques for nitrate source apportionment in arid and semi-arid regions. Science of The Total Environment, 775, p.145688.
- Matiatos, I., Wassenaar, L.I., Monteiro, L.R., Venkiteswaran, J.J., Gooddy, D.C., Boeckx, P., Sacchi, E., Yue, F.J., Michalski, G., Alonso-Hernández, C. and Biasi, C., 2021. Global patterns of nitrate isotope composition in rivers and adjacent aquifers reveal reactive nitrogen cascading. Communications Earth & Environment, 2(1), pp.1-10.
- Vystavna, Y., Matiatos, I. and Wassenaar, L.I., 2020. 60-year trends of δ18O in global precipitation reveal large scale hydroclimatic variations. Global and Planetary Change, 195, p.103335.
- Blarasin, M., Cabrera, A., Matiatos, I., Lutri, V., Maldonado, L., Giacobone, D., Matteoda, E., BecherQuinodoz, F., GiulianoAlbo, J., Eric, C. and Felizzia, J., 2020. Application of isotope techniques to enhance the conceptual hydrogeological model and to assess groundwater sustainability in the Pampean plain in Córdoba, Argentina. Isotopes in Environmental and Health Studies, 56(5-6), pp.402-417.
- Blarasin, M., Cabrera, A., Matiatos, I., Quinodóz, F.B., Albo, J.G., Lutri, V., Matteoda, E. and Panarello, H., 2020. Comparative evaluation of urban versus agricultural nitrate sources and sinks in an unconfined aquifer by isotopic and multivariate analyses. Science of The Total Environment, 741, p.140374.
- Kazakis, N., Matiatos, I., Ntona, M.M., Bannenberg, M., Kalaitzidou, K., Kaprara, E., Mitrakas, M., Ioannidou, A., Vargemezis, G. and Voudouris, K., 2020. Origin, implications and management strategies for nitrate pollution in surface and ground waters of Anthemountas basin based on a δ15N-NO3− and δ18O-NO3− isotope approach. Science of The Total Environment, 724, p.138211.
- Vystavna, Y., Schmidt, S.I., Kopáček, J., Hejzlar, J., Holko, L., Matiatos, I., Wassenaar, L.I., Persoiu, A., Badaluta, C.A. and Huneau, F., 2020. Small-scale chemical and isotopic variability of hydrological pathways in a mountain lake catchment. Journal of Hydrology, 585, p.124834.
- Romanelli, A., Soto, D.X., Matiatos, I., Martínez, D.E. and Esquius, S., 2020. A biological and nitrate isotopic assessment framework to understand eutrophication in aquatic ecosystems. Science of the Total Environment, 715, p.136909.
- Luu, T.N.M., Do, T.N., Matiatos, I., Panizzo, V.N. and Trinh, A.D., 2020. Stable isotopes as an effective tool for N nutrient source identification in a heavily urbanized and agriculturally intensive tropical lowland basin. Biogeochemistry, 149(1), pp.17-35.
- Kamdee, K., Corcho Alvarado, J.A., Occarach, O., Hunyek, V., Wongsit, A., Saengkorakot, C., Chanruang, P., Polee, C., Khaweerat, S., Matiatos, I. and Matsumoto, T., 2020. Application of isotope techniques to study groundwater resources in the unconsolidated aquifers along the Ping River (Thailand). Isotopes in environmental and health studies, 56(2), pp.95-110.
- Matiatos, I., Varouchakis, E.A. and Papadopoulou, M.P., 2019. Performance evaluation of multiple groundwater flow and nitrate mass transport numerical models. Environmental Modeling & Assessment, 24(6), pp.659-675.
- Matiatos, I., Paraskevopoulou, V., Lazogiannis, K., Botsou, F., Dassenakis, M., Ghionis, G., Alexopoulos, J.D. and Poulos, S.E., 2018. Surface–ground water interactions and hydrogeochemical evolution in a fluvio-deltaic setting: the case study of the Pinios River delta. Journal of Hydrology, 561, pp.236-249.
- Matiatos, I., 2016. Nitrate source identification in groundwater of multiple land-use areas by combining isotopes and multivariate statistical analysis: A case study of Asopos basin (Central Greece). Science of the Total Environment, 541, pp.802-814.
- Matiatos, I., Alexopoulos, A. and Godelitsas, A., 2014. Multivariate statistical analysis of the hydrogeochemical and isotopic composition of the groundwater resources in northeastern Peloponnesus (Greece). Science of the Total Environment, 476, pp.577-590.