- BSc in Geology, School of Geology, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (1977-1982)
- PhD in the Department of Biogeochemistry, Institute of Geology & Palaeontology, University of Hamburg (1983-1989)
During 1986-87 he has held a position as a research associate, and during 1987-90 as a research collaborator in the Department of Biogeochemistry, Inst. of Geology & Palaeontology, University of Hamburg. During 1990-94, he was the head of the Department “Environmental Research & Technology” Technology Transfer Intratech Ltd. He has been working as a researcher at HCMR since 1994 and since 2008 as a research director. He has attended special training courses in “River Habitat Survey”, Scotland, June 1999 and in the “First Electrofishing Seminar in Greece”, June 2012. In 2010 he visited the Leibniz-Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries (IGB) for a month and collaborated on the ecology and assessment of temporary streams, the state and trend of European river deltas, and the development of research projects.
He was acting as the head of the Department “Environmental Research” of the Institute of Inland Waters (1998 – 2004). Since 2008, he is the head of the Research Direction “Integrated River Basin Management”, Institute of Inland Waters and later Department of Inland Waters, Institute of Marine Biological Resources & Inland Waters, and acts since 2012 as coordinator of this Department.
His research interests include ecological status assessments of aquatic ecosystems, land – water – atmosphere interactions, biogeochemical processes, functional ecosystem approaches, ecosystem conservation and integrated river basin management.
He is (was) a member of the committees: Greek Geological Society (EGE), Geotechnical Chamber (GEOTEE), Institute of Underwater Archaeology (IENAE), National Network of Environmental Education “The River”, European Centre for River Restoration (ECRR), Waterwiki.net, European Sediment Network (SedNet), EU WFD Working Groups “REFCOND” and “Intercalibration”, Greek Focal Point (HCMR) in the Expert Working Group Monitoring and Information Exchange for the Drin Core Group (alternate member), National Committee on a) Waters and b) WFD implementation, Special Secretariat for Waters, Ministry of Environment, Energy & Climate Change and in several CIS Working Groups.
He participated in 61 national and international projects (in 22 as coordinator), participated in over 100 technical reports and authored over 40 ones.
He has contributed 3 monographs, 73 papers in peer-reviewed journals, 11 book chapters and one book, 165 conference presentations and 195 presentations in seminars etc.
He supervised 5 MSc and 5 PhD theses.
He has participated in the Steering Committee of 4 national or international Symposia/Congresses and organized/coordinated 7 Workshops. He serves on the Editorial Board of the journal Mediterranean Marine Science.
He received two awards: for LIFE “ENVIFRIENDLY”, one of the top five ‘Best of the Best’ LIFE Environment Projects in 2009 and the ECOCITY 2011 award for “Scientific Research”.
Other interests include: practical philosophy, photography, scuba diving (licence, Greek Federation of Underwater Activities, 1977), free diving (2nd level diploma for 20 m depth, 2009), travelling, canoeing, trekking and free camping.
- Skoulikidis Ν. (2009). The environmental state of rivers in the Balkans – a review within the DPSIR framework. The Science of the Total Environment 407:2501-2516.
- Skoulikidis N., Y. Amaxidis (2009). Origin and dynamics of dissolved and particulate nutrients in a minimally disturbed Mediterranean river with intermittent flow. Journal of Hydrology, 37: 218–229.
- Skoulikidis N., L. Vardakas, I. Karaouzas, A. Economou, E. Dimitriou, S. Zoggaris (2011). Water stress in Mediterranean lotic systems; impacts and management implications in an artificially intermittent river (Evrotas River, Greece). Aquatic Science Special issue: ‘‘Recent Perspectives on Temporary River Ecology 73:581-597, DOI 10.1007/s00027-011-0228-1.
- Skoulikidis Ν., Α. Lampou, Ι. Karaouzas, K. Gritzalis, M. Lazaridou, S. Zogaris (2014). Stream ecological assessment on an Aegean island: insights from an exploratory application on Samothraki (Greece). Fresenius Environmental Bulletin, 23(5), 1173-1182.
- Gritzalis K. C., E. Anastasopoulou, N. Georgiopoulos, V. Markogianni, Skoulikidis (2015). Water quality and Benthic fauna biodiversity in a unique small wetland at Messinia Greece. Journal of Environmental Biology 36, 171-176.
- Tzoraki O., Girolamo A.M., Gamvroudis Ch., Skoulikidis N. (2015). Assessing the flow alteration of temporary streams under current conditions and changing climate by Soil and Water Assessment Tool model. Int. J. of River Basin Management 1(10), 1571-5124, DOI: 10.1080/15715124.2015.1049182.
- Vardakas L., E. Kalogianni, S. Zogaris, N. Koutsikos, T. Vavalidis, D. Koutsoubas, Th. Skoulikidis (2015). Distribution patterns of fish assemblages in an Eastern Mediterranean intermittent river. Knowledge and Management of Aquatic Ecosystems, 416(30). DOI: 10.1051/kmae/2015026
- Skoulikidis N.Th., S. Sabater, T. Datry, M. Morais, A. Buffagni, G. Dörflinger, S. Zogaris, M.M. Sánchez-Montoya, N. Bonada, E. Kalogianni, J. Rosado, L.Vardakas , A.M. De Girolamo, K. Tockner (2017). Non-perennial Mediterranean rivers in Europe: Status, pressures, and challenges for research and management. Science of the Total Environment, 577, 1-18.
- Skoulikidis N.Th., L. Vardakas, Y. Amaxidis, P. Michalopoulos (2017). Biogeochemical processes controlling aquatic quality during drying and rewetting events in a Mediterranean non-perennial river reach. Science of the Total Environment 575, 378–389.
- Theodoropoulos C., A. Vourka, A. Stamou, P. Rutschmann, Skoulikidis (2017). Response of freshwater macroinvertebrates to rainfall-induced highflows: A hydroecological approach. Ecological Indicators 73 (2017) 432–442.
- Pavlineri N., Th. Skoulikidis, V. A. Tsihrintzis (2017). Constructed Floating Wetlands: A review of research, design, operation and management aspects, and data meta-analysis. Chemical Engineering Journal 308 (2017) 1120–1132.
- Vardakas L., E. Kalogianni, Ch. Papadaki, Th. Vavalidis, Skoulikidis (2017). Defining critical habitat conditions for the conservation of three endemic and endangered cyprinids in a Mediterranean intermittent river before the onset of drought. Aquatic Conservation. DOI: 10.1002/aqc.2735.
- Kalogianni E., A. Vourka, I. Karaouzas, L. Vardakas, S. Laschou, Th. Skoulikidis (2017). Combined effects of water stress and pollution on macroinvertebrate and fish assemblages in a Mediterranean intermittent river. Science of the Total Environment 603–604, 639–650.
- Vigiak O., S. Lutz, A. Mentzafou, G. Chiogna, T. Ye, B. Majone, H. Beck, A. de Roo, A. Malagó, F. Bouraoui, R. Kumar, L. Samaniego, R. Merz, C. Gamvroudis, Skoulikidis, N. Nikolaidis, A. Bellin, V. Acuňa, N. Mori, R. Ludwig, A. Pistocchi (2018). Uncertainty of modelled flow regime for flow-ecological assessment in Southern Europe. Science of the Total Environment 615, 1028–1047.
- Lazaridou M., C. Ntislidou, I. Karaouzas, Skoulikidis (2018). Harmonisation of a new assessment method for estimating the ecological quality status of Greek running waters. Ecological Indicators 84, 683-694.
- Lazaridou M., C. Ntislidou, I. Karaouzas, Skoulikidis, S. Birk (2018). Harmonization of the assessment method for classifying the ecological quality status of very large Greek rivers Knowl. Manag. Aquat. Ecosyst. 2018, 419, 50. https://doi.org/10.1051/kmae/2018038.
- Karaouzas I., C. Theodoropoulos, L. Vardakas, E. Kalogianni, Th. Skoulikidis (2018). A review of the effects of pollution and water scarcity on the stream biota of an intermittent Mediterranean basin. River Res Applic., 1–9, DOI: 10.1002/rra.3254
- Theodoropoulos C., S.Georgalas, N. Mamassis, A. Stamou, P. Rutschmann, Skoulikidis (2018). Comparing environmental flow scenarios from hydrological methods, legislation guidelines, and hydrodynamic habitat models downstream of the Marathon Dam (Attica, Greece). Ecohydrology. 2018;e2019. DOI: 10.1002/eco.2019
- Smeti, D. von Schiller, I. Karaouzas, S. Laschou, L. Vardakas, S. Sabater, E. Tornés, L.-S. Monllor-Alcaraz, N. Guillem-Argiles, E. Martinez, D. Barceló, M.-L. de Alda, E. Kalogianni, A. Elosegi, N. Skoulikidis (2019). Multiple stressor effects on biodiversity and ecosystem functioning in a Mediterranean temporary river. Science of the Total Environment 647, 1179–1118.
- Karaouzas I., E. Smeti, E. Kalogianni, Th. Skoulikidis (2019). Ecological status monitoring and assessment in Greek rivers: Do macroinvertebrate and diatom indices indicate same responses to anthropogenic pressures? Ecological Indicators 101: 126–132.